Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

07 August, 2022

Five Easy Accents That Just Say Farmhouse

I admit it...I love farmhouse style! But I have one problem...my home just doesn't lend itself to full-blown farmhouse and a major reno is not on the horizon any time soon! Plus I am not so sure that I can abandon my love of Country French for shiplap and open shelving. So I have discovered a way to infuse that farmhouse look without a total commitment. I add decorative elements that suggest a farmhouse. Here are my five favorites.




 1. TEXTURE
Baskets and other natural elements can add warmth and interest to your home. And the good news is that they are not expensive! I found this wonderful vintage demijohn at my local Goodwill for only $3.63!

I am fortunate to have a Pottery Barn and Williams Sonoma outlet not too far away and this basket was another steal. I love how it corrals everything to create a simple centerpiece. Take note of the dough bowl because I am going to share more about it later.

2. GALVANIZED PIECES
When galvanized metal was first coming into fashion several years ago it was difficult to find. A good source for me was always the tractor supply store!  However, now it's almost everywhere so I was able to easily find galvanized chargers and a long basket for the centerpiece in this farmhouse fall tablescape.

And it was the star of my farmhouse spring porch several years ago. I love the soft touch that it adds!

3. VINTAGE PIECES
I am very fortunate to have a few family pieces that I treasure and my grandmother's dough bowl is one of them! I love the softly worn glow of the wood worn down from years of making homemade biscuits!

And although these are not family pieces, I came across this vintage collection of my favorite Quimper pottery plates at a nearby antique shop and snatched them up for a song! The traditional peasant costumes just say farmhouse to me! That brings me to my next point...

 4. COLLECTIONS
I love the layers that are added to a home when someone has bothered to seek out and collect a favorite. They add warmth and tell me about the personality of that person. I have several collections in addition to the Quimperware that I mentioned above. I also collect clay cookers, especially those with interesting designs.

And, of course, no farmhouse would be complete without a collection of classic blue and white! It reminds me of eating at my grandmother's kitchen table from her Blue Willow plates.
 CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT French Country Fall Home Tour5. RUSTIC FABRICS
And finally, nothing says farmhouse more than simple, rustic fabrics, especially the humble but iconic grain sack which has come to represent all things farmhouse! It has been elevated to upholster chairs...
 
 ...and used to create throw pillows among other things. Can't find or afford the real deal? Then make your own!
 
IMG_3891It wouldn't be fall at my house without the rustic texture of my burlap table runner! And I admit that it often stays on my table through Christmas as well. You can find a tutorial for making your own here.

Unfinished edges and a generous ruffle add that farmhouse touch to these linen tea towels that double as oversized napkins.

I have to admit that I am enjoying the warmth and rustic feel that these inexpensive and easy-to-add accents bring to my home. And the really nice thing is that they add to my Country French décor without having to sacrifice it entirely for another style. So when I want a change in look, I just put them away. And I have to say that I am OK with not committing!

Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email
Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered Delivered by FeedBurner
You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of the email.
Click HERE to read my Privacy Policy.
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie