Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

28 October, 2012

Getting Cozy...Sweater Pillows and a Burlap Rose Tutorial

Fall Sweater Pillows There’s an unmistakable crispness in the air and that smell that says fall is here has finally arrived! It’s my favorite time of year…time to get cozy and pile on the blankets and sweaters…in the form of pillows!

Ozzie Our CEO Ozzie loves this time of year, too. She’s no spring chicken, but in the last week she has been spotted chasing butterflies and even climbing a tree! It’s time to enjoy being outside!

Confessions of a Plate Addict - Cozy PatioSooo…with that in mind, I have set up a cozy little corner on the patio for soaking in all of that fall atmosphere…even when the mornings are chilly. There are lots of comfy sweater pillows and a blanket or two to keep away the chill. I will be having my morning coffee out here every chance I get!

Fire Bowl It’s also time to bring out the fire bowl with its pretty copper finish and get ready to gather around with the grandchildren to roast marshmallows and make S’mores! So much fun…I can’t wait!
 Confessions of a Plate Addict - Sweater Pillows And nothing says cozy like a fun sweater pillow! They are so easy and inexpensive to make!
Here's what you will do:
  1. Find an old sweater…mine came from Goodwill for under $5.00 and it’s cashmere!
  2. Cut it to the size of your pillow form. 
  3. Stitch on three sides, pop in the form and hand-stitch closed. Goodwill is also a great source for the forms where you can even find the down-filled ones for under $3.00!

Burlap Rose Tutorial For a little added contrast and texture, just add a burlap or fabric rose…super easy to do!
  1. Start with a strip of fabric that is 2 inches wide and 36 inches long. You can make it shorter if you wish since the length determines the size of the rose. Fold the fabric in half lengthwise and tie a knot in one end.
  2. Next, begin twisting the folded strip, winding it around the knot as you go.
  3. Continue winding, occasionally securing the fabric with hot glue to hold it in place.
  4. Wind until your rose has reached the size that you want, then fold the fabric end under the rose and secure with hot glue.
Fall Sweater Pillows Finally, stitch or hot glue the rose to your pillow and taa daa!…there you have it! You can add them to lots of other things as well. I especially like the look that they add to wreaths. Now…there’s one last cozy thing that I love and I am waiting for. Can you guess what it is?

Baby Kitty Yes…that’s it! It’s almost time for the first fire of the season! Baby Kitty is also a huge fan as you can see from last year. Temperatures will be approaching freezing on Tuesday night and I have a feeling that you will find us in front of the fire getting cozy. Coziness…my favorite thing about fall! How about you? Do you love fall like I do? Have you had your first fire yet?

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my project! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party
Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday

Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday

The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Cedar Hill Ranch for Cowgirl Up! on Tuesdays

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
DIY by Design for Fall into Fall

The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays

Stone Gable for Tutorials. Tips and Tidbits on Thursdays
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday 

2805 for Potpourri Friday
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Craftberry Bush for Happy Hour on Saturdays
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
The Everyday Home for the "Better Late than Never" Fall Party 
See you next time! A la prochaine!



Want to see more?
Subscribe by email or in a reader
Also find Confessions of a Plate Addict on:

33 comments:

  1. Sitting by a fire as I type. ;-) We had our first cozy fire yesterday. Love this cooler weather! And those sweater pillows are adorable. I want to make some of the sweater pumpkins. Thanks for sharing your crafty ideas........Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your sweater pillows -- they make me feel so cozy and warm! Maybe I'll whip up a few myself -- for my bedroom makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute pillows and your CEO, Ozzie is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it's on. The cats are all enjoying it. I love your cozy corner outside. It is just adorable. Those sweater pillows are very pretty and add a touch of 'comfy' to any chair. "Hi kitties".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sweater pillows, so cute, so is the rose. Thanks for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet kitties! *kisses*
    I love the pillow! I could have used the burlap rose tutorial when i was making my Marie Antoinette scarecrow. I think I was burlapped out by then, anyhow! LOL!

    Hoping you are well...

    xo

    Andie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your sweater pillows are fabulous! I was on the lookout for sweaters at garage sales this weekend, but not luck. I want to make some pillows & Christmas stockings. Next place I'll go is Goodwill!

    Smiles,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that picture of your baby in front of the fire. Purr-fect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sweater pillows, Debbie. The white cablestitch one looks perfect with the burlap rose.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty pillows and rose, Debbie. Love the whole patio vignette! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. sEriously Deb, can your house get any prettier or cozier? LOVE IT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ozzie is a camouflage fall kitty for sure and Baby Kitty is so regal in front of the fireplace. I love your cozy seating area...great place for coffee and conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your post. Today, my cats (5) and I are celebrating National Cat Day, by taking our catnaps ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ohhhhh, Coziness. . .yes! Our kitties are big fans of the fireplace. We had 2 fires this weekend to start off our season. Lucked out on finding an incredible deal on firewood from a local source. We're stocked and ready to hunker down. Effects from Hurricane Sandy are reaching into our part of Ohio, so the fireplace is very essential. . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the sweater pillows. I have some Christmas sweaters I don't wear now that I don't work and I think I might try to make one into a pillow. Might be fun!

    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute are those pillows and that rose? I love the feeling of Fall in the area and "snuggly" things....especially the kitty! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your pillows and burlap rose! I need to make some of both! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a warm and cozy setting with your lush pillows and firepit. I must confess that I think your indoors kitty has the right idea, too.
    Blessings and kitty kisses to your two beautiful felines,
    Carolynn >^^< >^^<

    ReplyDelete
  19. Μου άρεσαν πολύ οι δημιουργίες σου!Αλλά και οι τριχωτοί βοηθοί σου πολύ γλυκοί και αξιαγάπητοι!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the idea of sweater pillows! I have had many woolens that I gave up to Goodwill! A great project for me going forward. thank you for posting!Wonderful images and "Bay Kitty" adorable!Facing the "Sandy" storm naturgirl

    ReplyDelete
  21. love this time of year too. We had snow last week but sadly ( yes sadly) it will be 70 degrees today... your pillows are lovely. and your cat looks so sweet in front of the fire. I'm hopping over from Cowgirl up. Happily enjoying my visit to your sweet blog and yu knoe I am already a happy follower. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbie,
    So~o~o love your cozy spot on the patio for morning coffee and s'mores! Great to see Ozzie enjoying the last few warm days of Fall!!! I've been wanting to make some burlap rosettes...but didn't know how to get started. I had the twisting and finishing off correct...thank you for your tutorial, dear friend! I agree, with Baby Kitty, time to cuddle up with a warm fire!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  23. New fan here from Cowgirl Up. I really enjoyed this post and would LOVE for you to come share at my weekly Farm Girl Blog Fest: http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/10/farm-girl-blog-fest-6.html Hope to see you soon! Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily

    ReplyDelete
  24. You've created a lovely outdoor area to enjoy. Thanks for the rose tutorial. I have a bunch of drop cloth scraps in my sewing room that I may try to form into roses using your tutorial. Your burlap roses would make beautiful decorations for Christmas packages. Have you though about doing that?

    It's so cold here in Virginia! I hope have enjoyed at least a few fires by now.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Debbie - The above comment is from Paula (Sweet Pea). I somehow wasn't signed in when I commented.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Kitties Ozzie and Baby Kitty are so gorgeous--both scene stealers! I love your cozy sweater pillows, and like that they can be done inexpensively with a very pretty result. We haven't had a fire yet--it's actually been rather warm and rainy here. Another couple of weeks, probably, and it will be about right for a fire. Take care--have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love these!! TFS!! Stopping by from DIY by Design's linky party and newest follower.

    Here is what I shared this week: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/10/happy-halloween-evil-queen-costume.html

    Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your sweater pillows look so cozy!! I actually have a red wool sweater that got accidentally put in the dryer last winter, so I plan to use it to make a pillow cover. You are inspiring me to get my sewing machine out! Hope you are doing well. Glad you are enjoying these fall days.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Debbie, Thanks for sharing this project at the Open House party. The pillows are wonderful and perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your pillows are so adorable and your space is so inviting! I want to curl up next to that fire and drink some apple cider. Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful space.

    ReplyDelete
  31. The sweater pillows are so cute! I recently made my first pillows since 3rd grade (lol) and am ready to try some different ones! love it!
    We just got our link party up and running and would love if you came and joined in on the fun. Each week we are giving away free ad space for one week to one random party goer. Our main site gets thousands of hits per day and The Better Half gets thousands per week. Hope to see you there! http://www.oneprojectcloser.com/the-humble-brag-link-party-5/

    ReplyDelete
  32. Absolutely luv this!!! Sending "warm" thoughts and THANKS!! franki

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love all of your projects! Thanks for sharing. ESP love your fur babies.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie