Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

08 October, 2019

Halloween Mantel with DIY Mantel Scarf

I am always excited to share my projects with you but this one is really special! I have been eyeing Halloween mantel scarves for two years and I have honestly debated about just ordering one. But I knew I wanted one to custom fit my mantel plus I was not sure what the fabric would look like in person. Sooo....I finally bit the bullet and made my own! And...I LOVE it!




Here it is...the star of this year's Halloween mantel! I love the color and texture that it adds! And now that I finally have it, I can use it year after year! I have to admit that I was inspired by the Grandin Road Halloween scarf and mantel that I found HERE. It's my own take minus the spooky old witch. I know that she would be a little too scary for my little grands so...
 
 ...my POTTERY BARN INSPIRED BAT WREATH took her place. I think I like it better! :-)

I've been revealing the components of the mantel piece by piece so you may recognize my DIY BOO MARQUEE LETTERS. They were easy and fun to make!

These painted pumpkins were a thrifting find last year and the smaller one is a new addition from Target. The raven came from Michaels.

I added a few bat cutouts to finish it off but for me, the star is the mantel scarf!  I am going to share with you how I made it but please keep in mind that you may need to adjust measurements, etc. to fit your mantel.

LARGE PENNANT PATTERN

There are three sizes of pennants in the scarf and the pattern above is for the large pennant. Hang on and I am going to give you the how-to for all three. Once again...this is made to fit my mantel so you may have to make adjustments. My mantel is 70 inches long and 8 inches deep so all pennants are made to fit those measurements. 

You will need...
7 large pennants (finished size 10 inches x 26 inches)
6 medium pennants (finished size 10 inches x 20 inches)
2 small pennants (finished size 7 inches x 13 inches)
A cover for the mantel top
13 jingle bells
2 tassels

Now for the fabric...
It took one yard to make 3 large pennants or 4 medium pennants and one half yard to make the small pennants....so about 4 1/2 yards for the pennants. Keep in mind that if you want more patterns, you will have to buy additional fabric. The mantel top cover took 2 yards because of the length of the mantel. I cut two of them...a front and back. I studied the photo in the link that I gave you to decide how many fabrics so I actually wound up buying additional fabric to be able to achieve that look. But...don't worry...I have a project for your leftover fabric!

Next create the patterns...
Using any large paper (I used gift wrap) create the large pennant pattern above. Fold your paper, measure and place a mark at 5 1/2 inches across. Measure down and put a mark at 27 inches and then connect the marks as shown. Cut along the dotted line, unfold and you have the pattern for the large pennant. When you unfold, your pattern will be 11 inches wide and 27 inches long, allowing for a 1/2 inch seam. Use the same method to create the other patterns.

For the medium pennant, I folded the paper and measured in at 5 1/2 inches and made it 21 inches long. When cut and unfolded, the pattern will be 11 inches wide and 21 inches long, allowing for a 1/2 inch seam.

For the small pennant (this one will go on the two sides), fold the paper and measure at 4 inches and 13 inches long. When unfolded, it will be 8 inches wide and 13 inches long, allowing for a 1/2 inch seam. I made this one just a bit narrower to be sure it would fit on the sides of my mantel.



Here's what you will do:
1. Using the patterns you have created, cut out your fabrics. I found it a good idea to lay them across the back of the sofa so I could create the design I wanted as I cut them. Remember that you have two of each individual pennant...a front and a back. A little hint...some fabric designs only go one way. If any of your pieces wind up going the wrong direction, you can always use them as the back of one of your pennants.

2. Cut out the mantel cover. Mine was 71 inches long and 9 inches wide for a finished size of 70 x 8 inches. You will need a front and a back for this one, too. Sew your pennants, right sides together, then turn them right side out and press them. Line up the 7 large pennants across one of the topper pieces right sides together, allowing an empty space about 1/2 inch at each end. This will allow for a seam. You can see on one of my pennants that I had to use a different fabric for the back to have enough. That's OK...it won't show. Pin and stitch the pennants to the topper.

3. Now layer in the medium pennants right over the large ones, right sides facing the right side of the topper. You can see that you want to stagger them so that they show between the large ones.  Pin and stitch in place.

4. Finally, pin the small pennants to either side with right sides facing the right side of the topper and stitch.

Eudora want to show you what to do next. Using the second topper that you cut, place it over the entire works, right side facing the right side of the other topper piece. Pin in place and stitch on 3 sides, leaving the side with the lengths of the pennants open. Turn right side out, trim the bulky seams in shorter layers and press. Then fold under the unfinished edges at what is now the back of the scarf, press and top stitch.

Now just add bells to each of the pennants across the front and tassels to the two pennants on the side and...taaa daaa! I have a confession...I hot-glued them. They don't jingle but that's OK with me. Just a hint...this baby is heavy so I used clear push pins and secured it to the very back of the mantel. Using heavy objects such as books as a part of your decorations helps, too.

I love it! It was a lot of work but I knew it was going to be...and it was worth it! I told my daughter I would leave it to her in my will! lol

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Halloween Wreath...Just Tie It!And remember that I promised you a way to use up any leftover fabric? Here it is...my EASY HALLOWEEN WREATH. You literally just tie it!

And there you have it! The really nice thing will be next year when I just pull it out and put it on the mantel! :-) And stay tuned because I have a few more small and easy Halloween projects left to share. Now...I think I have to go eat some Halloween candy to charge up my energy! ;-)

Remember to pin it! 


Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email
Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered Delivered by FeedBurner
You may unsubscribe at any time by clicking on the link at the bottom of the email.
Click HERE to read my Privacy Policy.
Follow on Bloglovin

1 comment:

  1. Hi Debbie - your mantel is so cool! It's the best I've seen - well done. :)

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie