Here’s what you will need:
- Styrofoam wreath form (Mine is 16 inches)
- Strips of burlap (I used about 3 strips at 2 in x 60 in) I chose red but natural or blue would be fine.
- Cardstock weight scrapbooking paper: 2 sheets of red, 2 sheets of blue and 3 of silver foil paper
- Mechanical pencil without lead
- Straight pins
- Jute twine (to form a loop to hang it)
- Print-out of star templates (here) from Homemade Gifts Made Easy
And here’s what you will do:
- Staple a burlap strip to the form at an angle and start wrapping, stapling when you reach the end and then attaching the next piece until the entire form is covered. It won’t matter if it’s not perfect since it won’t show.
- Cut out the stars using the print-out as a template. (I used 3 large red, 3 large blue, 5 large foil and 4 medium foil.) Then, using a mechanical pencil with NO lead and a ruler, create fold lines by bearing down from each of the points of the star to the opposite indention until you have worked all the way around the star. You can use the lines on the template as your guide if you wish by placing it over your cardstock. Repeat on the back of each star as well for easier folding.
- Fold each star…up along the points first and then down along the indentions to create a 3-D effect. Pin them to the wreath by stacking them counter-clockwise and then finally slipping the last star under the first. I found that one pin per star seemed to hold them. More than that might make them look too flat.
- Tie a piece of jute twine to the wreath by slipping it between the stars, tying it and then knotting it to create a loop. It is now ready to hang.
And here it is! I love the 3-D look of the stars and they were so easy and so much fun to make! I have a feeling you will see them again at Christmas! ;-) But the best part is that by using coupons and making it myself, mine only cost about $10 compared to theirs at $40! Woo hoo!
I love the way the foil cardstock looks like galvanized metal! Of course, since it is paper, you would not want to leave it outside because the weather would ruin it. I am going to add this one to the 4th of July mantel I am working on along with…
…my new favorite…my INDOOR/OUTDOOR LIGHTED PATRIOTIC GARLAND! I have to admit that I am getting excited about the mantel and can’t wait to show it to you!
And just in case you need more patriotic inspiration, here are some FUN IDEAS IN RED, WHITE AND BLUE! You’ll find everything from wreaths and pillows to my super-easy no-bake strawberry tunnel cake…the perfect dessert for summer!
How about you? Are you already planning your 4th of July, too?
Remember to pin it!
Thanks for stopping by! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants.
Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for the Show and Share Party , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Inspire Me Monday, Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home on Thursdays, French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday, Tatertots & Jello for the Link Party Palooza on Fridays
See you next time! À la prochaine!