I have a fun project to show you that I have had on my mind for a while now. If you know me, you know how I love adding a vintage-y touch to my décor…and the same goes for stars and stripes! So when I saw this fun idea for party favors on Country Living’s website, I knew I would have to try it for myself!
Here’s what you will need:
- Print-outs of vintage 4th of July postcards (Most of mine came from the Country Living link but I found that I had to save them and then print them since that function didn’t seem to work on their site. I also found a few on Google images.)
- Paper towel tubes
- Tissue paper in red and blue
- Fabric scraps and trim
- Sparkly pipe cleaners (Mine came from Dollar Tree)
- Baker’s twine
- Poster paper
- Rubber cement
- Elmer’s glue
And here’s what you will do:
- Fold the tissue paper in half…although in my package, the existing fold was not quite half so I had to trim it. Tape it to one end of the paper towel roll, roll it up and secure with rubber cement along the edge. (Don’t worry…it will dry transparent.) I cut 2 inches off of several of the rolls just to add a little variety in height.
- Glue one of the vintage print-outs to the center of the wrapped tube. Add the trim of your choice to the top and the bottom. Cut the top of the tissue a bit shorter (I used crafting scissors), insert a pipe cleaner “fuse” and tie shut with a length of baker’s twine.
- Cut the paper a bit shorter at the bottom of the roll and tuck it inside. Add your party favors…such as sparklers and Pop-Its...and secure them inside by adding a bit of the tissue. If you wish to keep them as decorations only, add some dry beans to give them weight.
- Cut a circle slightly larger than the bottom of the tube from poster paper. Add a thin strip of Elmer’s glue around the bottom rim of the tube, place on the circle cut-out and press in place. Allow to dry slightly then trim the circle so that it is about the same size as the end of the roll.
And here they are! They will be a fun addition to my 4th of July table and make nice gifts for my guests to take home with them as well!
And just in case you are on the look-out for some more ideas for the 4th of July, here are some of my favorites. And…most of them are also no-sew!
- Easy Stars and Stripes Burlap Wreath…Just Tie It!
- No-Sew Pottery Barn Inspired Patriotic Banner
- Easy Stars and Stripes Rag Ball Filler
- Pottery Barn Inspired Stars and Stripes Burlap Pillow
- Last Minute Patriotic Candle Holders and Vases
For those of you who follow my blog and are wondering what the staff is up to this summer…they are back with last year’s favorite…Cat TV! Please note that no feathered friends were harmed in the making of this program…unless you count having to eat while being stared at rudely by my staff!
And be sure to check out the rest of our Home Hacks group to see the wonderful ideas shared by these talented bloggers!
Thanks for stopping by! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants.
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party , Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for the Show and Share Party , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Inspire Me Monday, Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , Common Ground for Share Your Style on Thursdays , French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday, Tatertots & Jello for the Link Party Palooza on Fridays
See you next time! À la prochaine!
Also find me at…