Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

28 April, 2013

Tiny French Treasures...and a Surprise!

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Tiny French Treasures I am excited to show you my latest finds…wonderful little treasures from France! If you know me, you know I am always on the hunt for frenchiness…and these fabulous little lovelies are the real deal! I can’t wait to share them with you!

Vintage French Jeanne d'Arc pinThe first is my antique Jeanne d’Arc brooch which dates from around 1910. It represents my favorite historical figure…Saint Joan of Arc…dressed for battle in her armour and holding her banner and her coat of arms. On either side of her you can see the cross of Lorraine...the region of France that she called home and the same area where I lived! It truly is a tiny little treasure…only about an inch and a half wide. Now I have to get a hold of the French teacher in me or I will tell you waaay more about Joan of Arc than you ever wanted to know!

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Quimper cup and saucerMy second little treasure is this wonderful Henriot Quimper cup and saucer that I found in a near-by flea and antique market, thanks to my friend CC. If you know me, you know how I love my Quimper pottery!

BretonneThe front of the cup sports the traditional little Bretonne lady that I love so much! There were actually two of these cups and I was relieved to see that the other did not star her little Breton man or I would have had to buy him, too! When I see a pair of anything, I have difficulty buying just one! How can you leave one of them all alone?

Quimper cup and saucer with dragon handle But what really attracted me to the cup was this whimsical dragon handle! It is so unusual! A little research let me know that it dates from around 1930.

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Quimper collection She just looks right at home among all of my other Quimper pieces, doesn’t she?  You can see more of my little Quimper collection here.

Amaryllis And now for the surprise! My amaryllis from Christmas before last is blooming! Isn’t it lovely? I had managed to get it to sprout again, but never to bloom, so I just put it in the garage all winter and ignored it.

Amaryllis blooms Then one day I happened to notice that new leaves were growing and it was beginning to bud! I found out that if you want it to bloom, you should keep it in a cool place and not water it. Woo hoo! Who knew that neglect was the key to getting it to bloom again!

Cat TVAnd just in case you are wondering about the staff…it seems that “cat TV” is waaaay more interesting than French antiques! I do believe spring has sprung since you can finally see a little green showing in the Bermuda grass. What about you? Are you seeing some signs of spring?

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my tiny French treasures! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party , Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday , Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , Cedar Hill Ranch for The Scoop on Tuesdays , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures , Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , DIY by Design for Swing into Spring , The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays , No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays , Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits on Thursdays , My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday , French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , Common Ground for Be Inspired on Fridays , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday , Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
See you next time! À la prochaine!
Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email

Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered


Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow on Bloglovin

25 comments:

  1. I can't believe your amaryllis is blooming after all this time!
    Love your new finds,too..especially the little brooch. Will you wear it or display it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your treasures this morning.Love The Little Joan Of Arc pin and all your dishes.What a beautiful find your cup is.Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that feeling- finding a treasure you love. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your brooch is wonderful, what a special treasures. I love the cup and saucer, the handle on the cup is so interesting and it looks amazing with your other Quimper. Beautiful display on the hutch. Thanks for joining Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tres Charmant! Love your treasures-
    I always loved Quimper and you have such a great collection!
    Your brooch is beautiful- almost too precious to wear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beautiful amaryllis is acting like my Christmas cactus, it just got done blooming! It was a complete shock when I went to water it and noticed lots of buds...
    That little brooch is quite a find...I am still looking for another piece of Quimper to go with the single lonely piece I have!
    I have said it before...you always find the best things, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie, I love all of your Frenchie treasures, and I'm happy to see that the staff is enjoying cat TV. They would love mine with the squirrels on the oak. ;-)

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie I can feel your excitement over your new treasures! I do know how you love your Quimper and this is a charming piece for sure. The handle is really interesting. But oh my, that brooch is really special. What a great item to live with you, who appreciates it so much.
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Debbie
    I love your new finds. And as I was looking at all your pretties I also was looking for the staff. I love how you get them into the action. I showed the cats to my sweetheart and he just shakes his head...He just doesn't understand kitty love! I love your blog and love ALL your cute ideas. See you real soon.
    xo
    Betty @ My Cozy Corner

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie,
    Great post! Love your quimperware. Every year I give Brad an amaryllis for Christmas and they live outdoors here. He's got quite a showing now (just past prime at Easter). Thank you for showing us the French glass tree. I ordered one from World Market last Monday and it arrived in 4 days. Oh, and before I forget I added your whole staff to my pinterest page. Chris(Hurley)Gilley on the board "Pets we know and love". They might not find it as interesting as Cat TV but then my Maui and Dolly feel the same way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your french treasures...I just adore your Quimperware collection..the cup is beautiful!...Congrats on your amaryllis blooming!..I had one years and years ago that I placed in the back of my potting bench when it stopped blooming...I totally forgot about it and then it started blooming again!...I need to have more of those type plants that bloom from neglect!!!...Yours is beautiful Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbies,

    What beautiful finds I just adore that cup and it looks right home with your collection.

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  13. What great treasures you found! The pin is amazing and of course the Quimper cup and saucer is delightful. To bad the other cup was not a Bretonne man. A great addition to your collection!

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fabulous treasures!! I love discovering the history behind things we love. I have to chuckle a bit every time I read a post and look at the darling pictures of your "staff" of furry helpers, they are sooo cute :)

    xo, Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your Jeanne D'Arc brooch is fabulous! One more thing for me to hunt for!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  16. What wonderful treasures! I love your Quimper collection.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You found some lovely treasures. I should probably get some amaryllis since I'm so incredibly talented with neglect and forgetfulness. Yours look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a find. I must have missed that you lived in Lorraine, I thought it was Paris. Your help looks like they are waiting for lunch to fly by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie, these treasures were meant for you. Love the Joan of Arc of Arc piece and the dragon handle on your Q cup. '-) Great finds!
    I plant my amaryllis in the garden each Christmas after they finish the bloom cycle. Now I have a little cluster of them that bloom for me again and again. Don't know if that would work in Atlanta with all your snow, but you might try it.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Joan of Arc pin is such a treasure! Fantastic find.

    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, you know I love your cup and saucer. That dragon handle is so unique. How exciting to find it in a local flea market. I always get so excited when I find a piece some place so unexpected. That Joan of Arc is a treasure too. Your Amaryllis is gorgeous. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Quimper collection is so lovely and displayed perfectly. My favorite item is the Joan D'Arc brooch. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Just really enjoyed this!! Just Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Debbie - I came across this post after doing a Pinterest search for Henriot Quimper pottery. A client of mine has a beautiful collection from her grandmother and tomorrow I'm going over to help her organize it. I really enjoyed this post and your Quimper post from 2010. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie