Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

13 March, 2012

Botanical Découpage Eggs

I’ve been at it again! Découpage is becoming one of my favorite things to do! This time I used pretty table napkins with a springy botanical theme to create some Easter eggs.

010 It looks as though I will be alone on this project, though, since our co-host Baby Kitty is busy spying on a flock of blackbirds gathering on the front lawn…a hopeful sign of spring’s imminent arrival!

pageI find that my découpage skills seem improve with practice. However, it’s OK if the result is not perfect. I tell myself that just adds to the charm! Here's what I did but you can also find a few tips here.

1. I started with some pretty napkins that I found at Party City…$1.79 per pack. Next, I spray-painted some Dollar Tree plastic eggs an ivory color just in case a little background shows. I also used matte finish Mod Podge for this part of the project.

2. I used two methods to cover the eggs. The fastest, but most challenging is to use one image for the job. Just cut a rectangle a little wider and longer than the egg. Next, remove the second plain layer if the napkins are two-ply as mine were. Then cut part way in on either long side, removing every other tab. Use a brush to add some Mod Podge on a section of the egg surface and smooth the paper on, using the brush dipped in more Mod Podge and folding the little tabs over each other at the top. Work quickly and touch the egg as little as possible, working on one section at a time. Let dry.

3. Another method is to use smaller cut-outs of elements in the napkin and add them one at a time. Don’t forget to remove the second plain layer if they are two-ply. You will find that you have to work in a small section, let it dry and then work on another section. Keep your hand as clean and dry as possible so that the cut-outs do not stick to them. Work until the egg is covered.

4. Finally, let the eggs dry overnight and then brush with a coat of luster finish Mod Podge, first coating one half, let dry and then coating the other half. Let dry overnight.
 147 And here they are! Aren’t they just so springy? I'm displaying them in my vintage ironstone sugar scuttle. I'll show you more of it another time.

103These eggs were made by adding small cut-outs one at a time….little purple flowers for one, and leaves from the tulips for the other. 

142 This one was created from the tulip…one image covering the entire egg.

059And my favorite…this one is made from the single image of a rose.

080 Here’s a final look. What do you think? I am becoming addicted to découpage and looking around for my next project! What can I say? I love the smell of Mod Podge in the morning! lol

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my botanical eggs! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party
Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday (first Monday of the month)
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday

Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Beth at The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Anita at Cedar Hill Ranch for Cowgirl Up on Tuesdays
Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday’s Treasures

Gina at Random Thoughts for the Spring Craft Party
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design for Swing into Spring and the Bunny Blog Hop

Kate at Centsational Girl for the Spring Craft Party
Jaime Lyn at Crafty, Scrappy, Happy for Crafty, Scrappy, Happy Me on Thursdays
Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays and Spring Linky Party
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday

Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

See you next time! A la prochaine!

52 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Debbie! You do have the technique down pat on mod podge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out beautifully.I love the one with the small purple flowers-so delicate looking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMGOSH!!! I have not decoupaged in years! You did a fantastic job on these and now I have a feeling that I will be trying this very soon. I LOVE the texture that appears after they are dry..almost a "pebbly" gloss! Perfect~ xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea for Easter decorations. I love it ! Smiles, Susie(She Junks)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are so pretty.. thanks for the detailed tut.. I'll have to give this a try..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, those are so pretty and great pictures. Stay dry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These eggs are beautiful, Debbie! Did you find it easier to apply with the flower cut that way? What a great look for Spring {or anytime really} and they would look great on a Spring tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Debbie, What do I think? I love them, those are the prettiest decorated eggs I've seen! Mine would never turn out like this, I use to smudge the kind we dyed with our kids. I have to say I would like to try this so I'll bookmark this post for future use. Happy Spring Debbie.

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie those are stunning and from a paper napkin no less! I was working with MP yesterday and appreciate how hard it is to keep things clean and dry. I'm going to go look at my "stash" of paper napkins right now and see if I can come up with something to try this out. Thanks so much for sharing. Oh...and I'm going to PIN this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, these are gorgeous! I haven't decoupaged anything in years, but your eggs are calling me. I'm headed out to look for napkins today. Thanks for the tutorial on the different methods.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the ones with the purple flowers. I have some BIG styrafoam eggs...does decoupage work well on styrafoam too? If it does I need to find some cute napkins. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Debbie...how pretty. LOVE THEM ALL

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are absolutely beautiful, Deb. Your pics belong in a 'Welcome Spring' magazine. Btw..did you know that Baby Kitty has a cat on his back? I see it...do you? Deb

    ReplyDelete
  14. Debbie, these are fantastic looking. Love this idea...hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Debbie..I have been quiet until now but I have to tell you how pretty these eggs are..I am going to pin this as I think I will be trying it..I have also been admiring your staff because I am a cat lady too..7 right now..They like to sit around my desk and supervise also..Thanks for sharing this nice craft..

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are so pretty Debbie. Love them.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are gorgeous Debbie, WEll done. I love them

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have done it again. Perfect project. I love them. Richard from My Old Historic House.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are just gorgeous and so simple to do. I love how Baby Kitty's backside looks like a decoupaged egg! :)
    Nanci

    ReplyDelete
  20. These are so pretty, Debbie. You are really good at this...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, my, Debbie, these are gorgeous! You're amazing.
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, Debbie. I just found your lovely blog. These eggs are beautiful. I have joined your blog, because I am a plate addict too...as my hubby calls me.."the plate lady". I just can't resist. Don't expect me to help you control your addiction...because I am an enabler! Ha! Patsy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness, these are just gorgeous! (I tried to make these and I failed miserably!! LOL) You have done an exceptional job.
    Thanks for linking up to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, what a great project! I love new ways to decorate eggs!
    Karee

    ReplyDelete
  25. These are just beautiful. I have wanted to do this project for a while and never have. You've inspired me to dive in and do it this year.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just gorgeous Debbie...I am going to give this a try, thanks for the how to's!
    Hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh, these are so pretty, Debbie! I haven't decoupaged in years. I must give it a go again. Love the eggs!

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  28. Debbie these are so pretty! I have never decoupaged (I know~~) but this might just get me to try. OK Mod Podge here I come. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  29. I need to make these--I have pretty napkins ready to go. Yours turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are sooo pretty. I'd like to do this project, but I've never decoupaged anything, though I've always wanted to. I think the hardest part for me will be folding the tabs down so that they lay flat. Thank you, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are gorgeous! I have been a Mod Podging fool lately, too, and I also love the smell of it. I have been decoupaging manilla folders and little flower pots and Altoids tins... Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Debbie, the eggs are just GORGEOUS!! You never fail to impress me with your mod podge skills and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love these eggs...they're beautiful!!! I may have to try this!! Enjoy your day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your eggs are fantastic!!
    Love you choice of napkins you used.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  35. I've got some Spring wrapping paper just waiting for something like this! Fabulous job. Saw your link on Funky Junk Interiors.

    New follower too,
    Shasta

    ReplyDelete
  36. LOVE THIS PROJECT!

    You are so creative and clever and have such patience.

    I must really work on that, I don't do nifty things like that and want to learn.

    This was very inspirational to me.

    WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  37. So beautiful Debbie! You're talent is amazing. Thank you so much for linking up to both Inspiration Friday and the Bunny Blop Hop. I featured these tonight on our Facebook Page.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your eggs are just beautiful!
    Sarah@budgetfriendlydecorating

    ReplyDelete
  39. Debbie, You create the prettiest things! These eggs are gorgeous. :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  40. Don't you just love all the pretty napkins that are available? They work so well for decoupage and the finished project has more of a fabric look but without the thickness. There are just beautiful and so spring-like. I'm checking out some of your other projects!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I just love those eggs - I am on the look out for some beautiful paper napkins and I have tons of plastic eggs. Thanks so much for this great post.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  42. These are just lovely. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie