Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

11 October, 2009

Mosaic Monday/Three or More Tuesday...or...A Few Frenchy Favorites!

800px-Absolute_Pl_marche_aux_cochons_01 Today, I am taking you to Alsace in the northeastern corner of France. Well, not exactly, but I am going to share a few of my little treasures! If you are not familiar with Alsace, I’ll bet that you could guess from the photo that it is on the border with Germany…but it is still VERY French. Warning! Warning! I feel the French teacher in me coming out! lol

photo of Strasbourg from Wikipedia


platesFirst, I would like to share with you my two favorite Alsatian plates. In the upper left is a Sarreguemines plate in the Obernai pattern depicting an Alsatian woman and her daughter going to church, dressed in traditional costumes. I love the flowers on the border! On the lower right is a Limoges plate featuring the products of Alsace, including a peek at the traditional architecture with a stork nesting on the chimney. I’ll tell you a little more about the costumes and the storks later. The yellow fruit is mirabelles…a sort of yellow plum which makes a yummy tarte!


IMG_8199 And this little jewel is a special favorite because it was a gift from a dear French friend of mine to my mother. It is only three inches in diameter! It depicts the traditional architecture of Strasbourg with the cathedral in the background and a stork’s nest. It is believed that having a stork build its nest on your home brings luck. However…no fires in the fireplace! And…if you want a baby brother or sister, just leave a sugar cube on the window sill and the stork will grant your wish in return for the treat!


alsaciens I love these little people dressed in the traditional Alsatian costumes! I bought several sets of these to give as gifts, but could only part with one set…which I gave to my sister. She hangs them on her tree at Christmas. I have them hung in several places around my house as a reminder of a trip to Strasbourg for the Christmas Market. When you tug on the string, their arms and legs move!


432px-Adolphe_Braun_Alsace_costume I am sure that you have noticed by now that Alsatian women are frequently portrayed as wearing a large black bow. Actually, there are numerous traditional coiffes or caps for the region, but this one has come to represent all of Alsace. It was worn by the women in protest of the German occupation of Alsace in 1870 and 1914. You have to admire them for making their political views known! The traditional costume is now only worn for special fêtes or holidays.

photo from Wikipedia


tin This is a colorful little cookie tin whose cookies long ago...er...disappeared! You can see men and women in costume, as well as references to some of the products of Alsace…vins d’Alsace and bière d’Alsace…wine and beer from Alsace. The brasserie, a sort of bar/restaurant, is serving the local specialties. And, of course, there is a stork’s nest!


IMG_8219 Hmmmm…I would like to show you this picture that usually hangs in my kitchen…but Kitty isn’t in a sharing mood! It features several labels from the wines of Alsace. Have you ever had a glass of Riesling or Gewürztraminer? Then you have sampled them!


IMG_8216 Finally! She has allowed me to show you a little peek! I love this one…it has all of the traditional elements…the costumes, the architecture and the stork!! One day, I hope to go back to Alsace…but it will not be soon enough! In the meantime, I will have to visit through my little treasures!

Thanks so much for stopping by! Please join me in visiting Mary at Little Red House for Mosaic Monday, where you will see one of her beautiful mosaics and find a list of this week’s participants.

ThreeOrMoreTuesdayLogo Then on Tuesday, head on over to Tam’s at The Gypsy’s Corner where I am joining our wonderful hostess for my very first Three or More Tuesday! There you will find all sorts of interesting collections! I am happy to be a part of this meme and I do believe that it may become a habit! See you next time! A la prochaine!

55 comments:

  1. Debbie, loved this post! I just wrote a reply, and it apparently disapperaed into cyberspace. LOL!
    I guess it didn't like what I said. ;-)

    But I'm going to say it again. I feel as if I've been on a wonderful trip to France. I love your posts and always look forward to them. Thanks for sharing...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, I just love it when you show us your treasures from your time living in France and all of the wonderful travels you did. You always explain all the pictures and the traditions so well and make it so fascinating. Thanks again for a great tour. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I love your plates and the cookie tin and enjoyed the folklore story of a stork building a nest on a person's home. Kitty is beautiful!
    :-) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the little tins!!! :) When we stayed in Luxembourg, my parents went over the border to Alsace one day, but we didn't get to go. :s I was thinking that the architecture looked a bit like Germany. :) Neat stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your collection is so neat! Thanks for taking us on a little trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Debbie! What a wonderful post! A couple of years ago we were in Strasbourg! It was so wonderful and I did feel like I was in a fairy tale. The cathedral is just amazing! You've made me feel as if I've taken another little trip there.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie I enjoyed seeing more of your French treasures. You must have had such a wonderful experience during your year in France. It's fun to hear about all this. The little tin is too cute, and I'm amused about the storks. When we visited Morocco a few years ago, storks were nesting in the old palace with in the old city walls. We could sit on the rooftop terrace and watch them going about the day coming and going and feeding their babies. Did you know that storks mate for life and that both adults care for the young? Such fascinating birds!
    Thanks again, Debbie, for sharing your French experiences and knowledge. Have a great week. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, what a fun post. I love the old photo of the girl in the traditional dress. And I really love the stork stories, especially the sugar cube on the window ledge. Sheesh, if I would have only known lol. Have a great week. Hugs, Kat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, love it all! Next week instead of going to GW, let's go to France! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda that was an interesting post. I had to smile at the photo of the gal with the HUGE black bow on her head. I wonder if it made her take a tylenol? I was at a wonderful plate store this weekend and thought of you. It was up in Alpharetta and I know you would like it and so would Linda.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post, Debbie!

    Those are two of my favorite wines, by the way!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbie! Are the cookies really gone? :( Have you interrogated Kitty or your other staff members? Guess I'll have to have my cup of tea all by itself then!

    Loved that beautiful picture of Alsace, all Hansel and Gretel.

    Hope you have fun things going on this coming week!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos, Debbie! Have a beautiful new week...Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Debbie, what an amazing post! Loved all your mosaics, and all the info too. thanks so much for sharing your knowledge and your beautiful collections at Mosaic Monday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie,

    I LOVE it when you share your photos of France and I enjoy it when "the French teacher" comes out........this "once upon a time European history" teacher enjoys every tidbit of information.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! And I love the folklore and history you shared with us as well.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I grew up in Germany and the picture of those half-timber houses really bring me back. Thanks for sharing all of the lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your post but especially the photo of Strasbourg.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What great mosaics. I really like the history around that big black bow! sounds like something I'd want to do :0)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun mosaics! The tins, the history, the beautiful plates! I have had the wines, so good! Enjoyed your post very much!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Debbie,
    What gorgeous photos and interesting history. Love the old pic of the girl dressed in her traditional costume.
    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Debbie,
    Beautiful and educational all at once as usual. I love the plates, so beautiful.

    Thank you for sharing this information.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun post...I learned so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a pretty way to give a geography/history lesson. And your kitty fit right in with the color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great post Debbie! I love the colors and designs on the plates & tin. Kitty is just too adorable! ☺ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love learning more about the Alsace area of France and seeing your gorgeous plates and cute kitty who stole the show! :-)

    Happy Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love learning different traditions and facts about other countries. Thank you for sharing all this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, interesting facts about the Alsace! Thanks for sharing, love your mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good morning Debbie. What a great post is this again. Loved your story about the Alsace. We always learn from you teacher. LOL. LOve the plates and all the other goodies and I love Riesling and Gewurztraminer. My favorite wines.
    Have a great week.
    Riet

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my! I'm in love with all of your lovely keepsakes from your adventures! (And kitty, too! When has a cat ever felt like doing what was desired of it? That's part of why we adore them so much!) This is my first trip to your blog but I'll be back. Please come visit me when you have a moment!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love it all, the plates, the ornaments and the photographs. Gorgeous mosaics of such interesting treasures. Your photographs are stunning.Karen

    ReplyDelete
  32. Very impressive post! I love everything about Alsace, the tins cans, the plates, the decors, too. I love how you incorporate about the place and its history into your mosaics!

    Have a great week!

    Ebie's Mosaic.

    ReplyDelete
  33. What delightful treasures you've shared today. I enjoyed learning a bit about Alsace and certainly understand your kitty's position ;-)
    Hugs and blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Debbie,
    This was so much fun!! I just love the china and all the other beautiful tidbits! I bet you were a fun french teacher to have! Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  35. The plates are beautifully done...can't find things like that today.

    ReplyDelete
  36. This reminds me of my living once in a quaint little town in Texas called New Braunfels. Filled with German events and memorabilia! Beautiful post!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely French tastes here!

    Wasnt it amazing how talented artisians used to be?

    With the world of cyber -- good art work isnt so rare-- or so it seems.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Would love to have you stop by if you get a moment!

    TTFN~~ Claudia ♥ ♥

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Debbie or should I say Bonjour Madame Debbie.
    I haven't been to these places but I was very close.
    It was in the fall, so a little chilly. I would like to go back to France in the summer, when I can wear a little French dress with a big Jackie O hat...of course with Audrey sun glasses... who am I kidding, just take me to GA. lol
    Love your post today dear friend.
    Love Claudie
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  39. What an enjoyable post to not only see your beautiful mementos but learn something as well!

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful post Debbie and great theme combination.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  41. LOL! Kitty want to keep that one! I enjoyed this post (not that I don't enjoy all your others~smile) but I like learning something new and loved seeing your collections!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Debbie! Yes, Gloria and I had wonderful time. Then I forgot one of my purchases she had in her cart so we ended up talking on the phone for another hour later in the evening! She is just the sweetest lady.

    I love the color of those first plates. The story about the bow is so interesting!
    Hugs,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  43. Debbie, how fortunate for us to have a French teacher among us who can share so much! Loved this post...love the dishes, love your sweet Kitty too! I always have fun when I stop by your blog.
    Oh, I've always wondered about the bows...very interesting!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  44. Oh...I love your mosaic and your frenchy goodies...wonderful!!!

    Enjoy!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  45. Debbie,
    Thanks for showing your wonderful finds and for all the information about them. It's such a treat to visit your blog.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  46. Oh my! What beautiful treasures! Thanks for the wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
  47. A beautiful post of for us, Belgians a well known region of France. This is quit close to the Belgian border this region. I love the Alsacian houses. I think it is a very pretty style and oh these traditional dresses...They are so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Hi Debbie,
    I have a Sarreguemines platter with a very similar decor to your Alsace plate.
    We lived in Bavaria for almost 14 years and there I learned to love Gewürztraminer and Edelzwicker wines.
    It's a small world!
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  49. Very charming! Kisses to that Kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I adore your website! I am a blue plate and cobalt blue glass addict. Your blog on Giverny was glorious! I read it before I went this summer. I was going to walk down to the cemetery to see Monet's grave but it was way too hot so I sat on a bench and had a delightful chat with some local ladies. We even sang a little "Alouette" together! Where can I get that wonderful music you have playing in the background? It is gorgeous! I miss Paris every day!

    ReplyDelete
  51. I'm excited! Strasbourg is on the itinerary for a planned trip to France & Germany, but not until May 2011. Can I wait that long?? You've really got my juices flowing now. Sally

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Shari! Thanks for your sweet comments! I am so glad that you enjoy my blog! Isn't Giverny wonderful? I can't wait to return! All of the music on my blog came from playlist.com, but the artists are all available individually at amzon. com I would think. Carla Bruni is the wife of the French President, Nicholas Sarkozy and a pop star there! Only in France! Julien Clerc is a particular favorite of mine, but has a very distinctive voice. Thanks so much for your visit!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  53. Debbie, I guess you do love those darling plates! I love the story behind each one. Such a lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  54. Hi Debbie....love this post. me and daughter stopped in Strasbourg on our little side trip to Germany...a cute little town...I remember it having some great little shops but as typical tourists I also remember eating some sort of bad fast food....Sorry I missed out on the fun today...I'm still hacking and coughing...no one wants to be around me....That swine flu has everyone on edge...everytime I coughin public I see people cringe...Hope to see you during the holidays...Sue

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie