Why not use portulaca (moss rose)? It's a nice sort of cross between a succulent and a pretty flowering annual and it can tolerate my warm, sunny yard! You should know that portulaca's blooms only last one day so each morning there will be a fresh new wreath to greet you!
Here's what you will need:
- Wire wreath form
- Portulaca in various colors (I used 6 larger plants although you could also use a tray of starter plants just as easily.)
- Package of moss (Mine came from Michaels and was 410 cubic inches)
- Florist wire
- Greening pins (also called floral pins)...not pictured
And here's what you will do:
- Remove the moss from the package and soak it in a bucket of water for about five minutes. Then layer it on around the wreath frame.
- Take the plants from the pots and remove about 1/3 of the root ball. Using your hands, carefully pry the root ball open so that it is relatively flat. (If you are using starter plants, you can skip this step.)
- Arrange the plants around the wreath form.
- Cover the root balls with the damp moss and secure with florist wire by wrapping it around and around the entire wreath, wrapping only the root balls and not the plants themselves. Finish by wrapping the ends of the wire around the wreath frame several times to secure it. Use the greening pins to secure any loose tendrils and encourage the plants to grow in the desired direction. Mine generally flows clockwise. I actually left mine lying flat for a few days before hanging it to give the plants a chance to adjust and grow properly.
POTTERY BARN INSPIRED FAUX SUCCULENT WREATH! No worries about watering or sun for this one! ;-)
And stay tuned because I seem to be a wreath-making maniac! I have yet another one to share...this one with a patriotic theme just in time for the 4th of July!
Remember to pin it!
Thanks for stopping by! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants.
Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for the Show and Share Party , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Inspire Me Monday, Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home on Thursdays, French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday, Tatertots & Jello for the Link Party Palooza on Fridays
See you next time! À la prochaine!