Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

29 September, 2013

Burlap Découpage Pumpkin Planter

Woo hoo! I had so much fun doing this project…my burlap découpage pumpkin planter…because I got to découpage and…best of all...it only cost $1.00! You know how cheap thrifty I am when it comes to my projects! And I have to say…with apologies to Robert Duval…I love the smell of Mod Podge in the morning! lol

Ozzie Our CEO Ozzie has been telling me that I either need to throw out my big pile of burlap scraps or find a way to use them…so I created this project to keep her happy. Other than the plastic pumpkin, everything came from my stash. Here’s what you need:
  • A plastic trick-or-treat pumpkin (Mine came from Walmart for $1.00)
  • White spray paint
  • Burlap scraps equivalent to 1/3 of a yard or so
  • Mod Podge
  • Small paint brush
  • Jute twine
  • Green florist wire
  • Clear indoor/outdoor acrylic spray
  • Optional…a Mod Podge craft mat. It’s the pink thing in all the photos. If you découpage as much as I do, you will love this…so much better than using newspaper! (And they aren’t paying me to say that!)


CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT  Pumpkin Planter Tutorial
Here’s what you do:

1. Remove the handle and spray paint the pumpkin white so that the orange will not show through the burlap

2. Cut 12 to 14 strips of burlap that are 3” x 12”

3. One at a time, cover the strips with a generous coat of Mod Podge

4.  Apply the strips to the painted pumpkin, beginning at the face. This will be the back of your planter. Work all the way around the pumpkin, layering the pieces to resemble pumpkins sections. Important…be sure to smooth each section carefully, overlapping them slightly and covering the top and bottom edges as you go. You will have about one inch of the strip tucked inside the pumpkin and another inch tucked under it. You may need to brush on extra Mod Podge as you go to help the strips adhere. I find that it helps to stop and wash my hands after a few strips to keep them from getting too sticky.


CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT  Pumpkin Planter Tutorial 2 5. Once the entire pumpkin is covered, allow it to dry for several hours by placing it upside down on a plastic container.

6. Cut a circular piece of burlap, coat with Mod Podge and add it to the bottom to give it a finished look. At this point the pumpkin will need to dry overnight. You will also need to turn the pumpkin right side up and allow the inner edge portion of the burlap to dry the next day. Don’t be impatient. I used a LOT of Mod Podge and it took a while to dry to the touch. Once the pumpkin has dried completely, spray it with acrylic spray. I used Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Clear Protective Finish

7. In the meantime, you can make the pumpkin-y additions.  Make tendrils by coating jute twine in Mod Podge and wrapping it around something with some diameter (I used a fat permanent marker) and let it dry for about 15 minutes. Remove it and reshape the tendrils to finish drying. Note…if you leave it much more than 15 minutes, it will be stuck to the marker!

8. Cut a leaf from the burlap ( I used an enlarged version of the pattern that I used here) and coat it with Mod Podge.

9. When the leaf is partially dry, thread green florist wire through it so that it will be flexible


CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT  Pumpkin Planter Tutorial 3 Next, go ahead and add your flowers if you are going to use real ones. That’s a kind of messy job, so you want to have the plant in place before you add the leaf and tendrils.  I used a brush to remove all the excess dirt and beefed up the edges with some Spanish moss, too.

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT  Pumpkin Planter Tutorial 4Finally, I hot-glued the leaf and tendrils in place. Since you threaded the wire through the leaf, you can give it some interest by bending it a little.


And…taaa daaa!…here it is! I love it! It will not be directly outdoors, but under the cover of my front porch so I think it will do well. Since there is no way for water to drain, I will have to water it carefully. As an alternative, you can use artificial flowers and avoid water altogether, of course. Now…believe it or not, I am still tweaking my porch, so I am off to get rid of those…uhhhm…free Halloween decorations that the spiders have left for me! Stay tuned to see my porch reveal! 

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my burlap découpage pumpkin planter! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party , Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures, The Everyday Home for Home{work} Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays , No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays , Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits on Thursdays , My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday , French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , Common Ground for Be Inspired on Fridays , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday , Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special, Tatertots and Jello for the Link Party Palooza, Sand and Sisel for the Autumn Abounds Linky Party, At the Picket Fence for the Pumpkin Linky Party
See you next time! À la prochaine!
Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email

Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered


Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow on Bloglovin

20 comments:

  1. I love it Debbie! It's just darling! :-)
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, This is such a cute ideal, and what a way to use up those scrap pieces of burlap. Thanks for sharing.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your wealth of creativity and fun projects never ceases to amaze me! Another one I have to try!. LOVE the burlap pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea Debbie, thanks so much for sharing it with us. Everything turned out so good. Looking forward to seeing the porch when you get finsihed.
    Happy week.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this idea, how fun and the leaf and tendrils finish it off perfectly. Fantastic project. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great and inexpensive way to use those orange plastic pumpkins. So cute and very trendy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THAT is a REALLY REALLY cute idea. Love it and what a fun way to dress up one of those orange plastic pumpkins! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ozzie is BEAUTIFULLY styled.
    I could use him around here...
    Please send to Paris?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the originality of this idea. I'm always looking for new ways to use burlap and the addition of the leaf and tendrils is so cute. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I LOVE this!! I have several of these pumpkins that I almost got rid of. Good thing I still have them. Now I need to get busy so that I can put my mums in them! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it! That's probably one of the best decoupage projects I've seen. With my forgetfulness, I would definitely have to show mercy on poor unsuspecting mums and use fake flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another great project Debbie and Ozzie had a good plan letting you know to use the scraps!!

    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!! A great idea and excellent execution. Thank you for the tutorial.
    My cat isn't as fussy about leftover crafting supplies as long as I leave them on the floor so she can lay on them. She has to supervise any crafting projects and makes sure excess supplies don't get away from her. I don't know who is more disappointed when I clean up a craft project me or the cat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Creative idea! Thanks for linking up to our Autumn Abounds party! Pinned it! ~KIM @ Sand & Sisal

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cute and I love that you used up some of your burlap scraps! Great craft!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh! Just great! What a fabulous use of materials on hand! Love this tutorial- what a fun idea. Thanks for the inspiration! Hugs, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! What a cute idea!! The pumpkin looks fabulous, especially with the mums! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie