Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

21 December, 2011

Vintage French Christmas Tea Towels

021 I think I have done it…managed to squeeze in my last project before Christmas! And here they are…my vintage French Christmas tea towels! I love their old-fashioned look and feel!

003 Of course, I could not have done it without the help of my faithful co-host Baby Kitty who assisted me as I was sewing in the wee hours of the night! It was easy! For each one, I cut two 19 inch X 28 inch pieces of Osnaburg fabric that I bought with a 40 % off coupon at Hobby Lobby…so about $2.50 a yard. I love this fabric! It has the nubby texture and unbleached color of linen, but without the fussiness, since it is 100% cotton. That left two 4 inch x 28 inch pieces of remnant to serve as the ruffles. I hemmed each one of the larger pieces on three sides and then gathered and attached the ruffle on the remaining  short side.

Noel wreath backwards Next, I printed this graphic on transfer paper as is…it must be backwards so that it will face the correct the direction when applied. I used a 3 inch x 4 inch size with Photoscape. Several of you have asked what kind of transfer paper I use…Avery for light fabrics. First, I trimmed as closely as I could around the design and then I followed the directions on the package to apply the transfers. My advice…iron, iron, iron…and when you think it might be ready…iron some more!

034 And here’s the result! Doesn’t it almost look like embroidery?

019 I didn’t hem the edges of the ruffle, but left it with the selvage as is. I love the little raveled edge! It adds to the vintage look and will not unravel any further than that.

In fact, I like them so much that I think I will make a few more and use them as generous napkins at Christmas eve dinner!

021 And wouldn’t they make nice gifts? The traditional red and green just say Christmas to me! Whew! Now I just have a few things left to share and then Christmas can arrive! I think I might be just about ready! What about you?
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my Christmas decorations!  Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party
Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday (first Monday of the month)
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Beth at The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design for Fall into Fall
Jill at French Cupboard for Voila!French Inspiration on Thursdays
Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday
Diann at The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Fabulous Fall Fun
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Jen at Tatertots and Jello for the Weekend Wrap-up Party
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special

See you next time! A la prochaine!

58 comments:

  1. Your vintage French tea towels are to die for! And you completely had me fooled...I really thought they were embroidery! The ruffles with the raw edges are just the icing on the cake. Brava!

    Hugs,
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous, they totally had me fooled, I thought they WERE embroidery. Great job, Debbie. Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I was thinking it was really handwork stitching. You always have the neatest ideas! Thanks and Merry Christmas, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE these! How well do they wash up? I want to make some and have all the supplies but am hesitant. You always inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought for sure you had embroidered them! I'm telling you, you should open an Etsy shop or a booth at an antique mall! ;o) They would make great Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Debbie.
    I really thought they were authentic and embroidered. You did a wonderful job, again. I admire you for what you do with so little. Wonderful. I love to come and see what you made every time I come here. And so good you have your wonderful staff to help you for what would you be without them, yes??

    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas time.
    Riet

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous! I think you are the most talented woman in all of Blog-land.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are beautiful! They do look very authentic. I'm jealous of all your beautiful holiday projects. With the move, I'm just happy to have a tree!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe they are not embroidered! Looks really real. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have bet the presents under the tree that those were embroidery work. In fact I was waiting for you to tell us you'd gotten an embroidery machine. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie,
    These are absolutely beautiful! And yes, it does look like embroidery. I love the Avery transfer paper too and you are right about iron, iron and iron some more. I learned this the hard way!

    Baby Kitty certainly does a great job. My Gizzy is quite a good seamstress too.

    You never cease to amaze me with your talents!

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh Debbie I thought you did embroider them, they are BEAUTIFUL!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are awesome and Inspiring! Something I think I can actually DO on the sewing machine. Thank you for this...
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness...I love your towels!!!! Thanks for sharing.

    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie, The towels are wonderful and they do look like embroidery. Thanks for linking to my party and I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  16. You and your staff are so talented, Debbie! The cutest tea towels...they would make beautiful napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Debbie, those towels are gorgeous. I'M wondering IF I could use muslin.
    Would you share the graphics.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply beautiful! The design looks like embroidery and love the raw edge. You should have an etsy shop or maybe a giveaway next Christmas! My compliments to you and your staff.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Debbie, I Love, Love your Towels! I love working with Osnaburg fabric too! Completely looks like they are embroidered where did you find such a graphic? I think Napkins would look stunning on the table with this Graphic.

    Have a Merry Christmas Debbie!!
    Huggs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  20. They would make fabulous gifts! Absolutely wonderful!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You had me fooled, I thought it was embroidery! Great job and I must admit that Baby Kitty is a much better sewer then Charlie is. These will be fabulous napkins! I'm so glad you are enjoying this week before Christmas! Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  22. They truly do look like they have been embroidered! How pretty they would look in a gift basket.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh Debbie, these tea towels are beautiful! I wish I had your sewing talent. When you decide to make and sell these put me on the list!
    Merry Christmas………

    Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love love it!! You are right it really does look as if they are embroidered!! These would make great gifts, Deb!! You clever clever lady, I am still baking and wrapping! I am just falalaing along, xo Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  25. Are you like this EVERY Christmas?! Whew! You're on a roll! This really does look like embroidery! Very pretty! C'est magnifique! How's that for a stab at French?!
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh these are just gorgeous. I love the look. You are so clever, I can't ever think of these things. You do amaze me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just love your vintage french tea towels! The would make wonderful gifts.....I only wish I had the time!

    Wishing you a very Merry Christmas Debbie. Gail

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow! Another fabulous creation and they DO look embroidered. I just love them and they would make wonderfull gifts...lucky recipient!
    I'll have to try these for next year. Wishing you and your family a wonderful Christmas. Bet the grands are all excited waiting for Santa.
    Hugs,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am in awe. seriously I am.
    those are so totally beautiful.

    I love them..
    wow

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful work! The transfer looks amazing! You inspire me!

    Merry Christmas,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are beautiful, Debbie! I did think they were embroidered! I have some Osnaberg fabric and I may just try this project out for myself, but you are right that they would make for a great hostess gift.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Debbie! These little towels are just darling! You did a marvelous job with them and they'd make a perfect and sweet gift! Thank you for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. They look embroidered!! I love them and may try them next year but for now...I'm packing and out of here in the morning! Merry Christmas Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Debbie,
    Gorgeous Frenchy Tea Towels! I was convinced they were embrodiery, dear friend! Great help, that handsome Baby Kitty! Have a Merry Christmas!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  35. CHRISTmas Blessings from my mountain top to your home…May it be the best one ever..Hugs and Love Gloria.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I did think they were embroidered! They are so lovely!
    Merry Christmas, Debbie, many blessings in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Oh my! Those towels are positively lovely! So, so gorgeous! And you are right...I thought you had one of those embrodiery sewing machines..it looks so real! Your homemade towels are one of the nicest gift I have seen...love, love, love them! Angie xo

    ReplyDelete
  38. Debbie, the tea towels are soooo pretty! All the intricate detail makes them truly look embroidered. They will be gorgeous used as napkins. Another fantastic idea from COAPA! Joyeux Noel! Linda (Can't get the accent mark to work over the "e"!)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi Debbie!

    These turned out so cute! I think I have a machine embroidery design that I could use to mimic something similar. You are such an inspiration...I seem to want to copy everything you do!

    Have a wonderfully Merry CHRISTmas, Honey!
    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  40. GORGEOUS, Debbie! Thanks for the great tut! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  41. Your vintage tea towels are amazing. I was ready to think they were embroidery and goodness to my surprise they were not! You're so talented, such a nice gift, so thanks for the tutorial too. Have a wonderful Christmas ever!
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  42. exquisite work .... love it all ... wishing you a magical xmas xoxoox

    ReplyDelete
  43. OMG! I have to try these. They would go perfectly with my French Country Christmas theme!

    ReplyDelete
  44. WOW.....they really look like the real deal (vintage). I must check out that fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow, these are so sweet! Love them!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  46. Very nice towels. And, I love the idea of using them as napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  47. So do you have an Etsy shop? I would love to buy some of these, just plain without the graphics, to use every day! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Beautiful! They do look as if they have been embroidered!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Yep! You had me fooled too! I do machine embroidery and this is really good!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. I love this towel!! I found you over at Coastal Charm. Following you now...hope you follow back!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Very pretty! Caught my eye at Coastal Charm.

    ReplyDelete
  52. Love your decorative tea towels...beautifully created. I am now a follower of your blog and look forward to return visits. I invite you to join me as well at http://atastefultouch.blogspot.com Happy New Years. Hugs, Gayle.

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love your tea towels and I was sure it was embroidered. Really awesome job. Thanks for sharing at DIYbyDesign.

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love your vintage French tea towel. They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Just popping back in to let you know I made a couple of these the other night, Debbie, and the post will be up at 11:00. I gave you a shout out and showed off one of your pictures; I hope that was okay. Such a great project! I felt like I really made something pretty in a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hy Debbie! I found your blog on French Country Cottage's party and I absolutelly love the way you writte and all the gorgeous project you present. I simply love the towels, you are very talented. Hugs, Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  57. Hi Debbie!
    I love your site and I will be back to check out all that you do! I really want to make these for my family for Christmas and was wondering where you got that graphic??? I love it and love that it looks like it is embroidered! Any help is appreciated!
    Lewann

    ReplyDelete
  58. Lewann...So glad you like them! Please feel free to use the image that is there. It has already been reversed for use as an iron-on transfer! Enjoy!...Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie