Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

18 August, 2020

They're Back...Ginger Lilies and Hummingbird Moths

IMG_1521
I am sooo excited! My favorite time of year has arrived! How do I know? My ginger lilies are blooming! That heavenly scent is filling my garden once again and will continue until the first frost. Aren’t they beautiful? I have shown them to you before, I think, but they are so lovely that I want to share them again! I only wish I had a scratch and sniff blog so you could smell them, too! Ahhhh!




oz Even our usually grumpy CEO Ozzie seems to be enjoying the garden, although she seems unimpressed by the ginger lilies. I think this is her favorite time of year, too! The days are still warm, but the evenings are getting cooler.


IMG_1522 So when I begin to see the first blooms on my ginger lilies, I know that those wonderful crisp autumn days are not far behind! The lilies are special to me for another reason…they came from my mom’s yard. When we were faced with the sad duty of cleaning out her house and putting it up for sale, I decided to dig up the lilies and bring them to live at my house...and they have thrived here ever since. But they had a big surprise in store for me!


hummingbird moth I will never forget the first time I saw them! It was dusk and I saw what appeared to be hummingbirds at the lilies. But when I looked closer, I realized they were actually moths…unrolling their long feeding tubes and inserting them into the flowers! Can you see the tube? I am super proud of myself because tonight I finally managed to get a decent photo! I’ve been trying for several years! lol Here is a hummingbird moth feeding at my ginger lilies.

I also found an amazing video of these moths, also known as the sphinx moth, feeding among their favorite flowers... ginger lilies, of course! Although I didn’t make the video, this is what I saw in my garden this evening as the first moths came to visit!  I am still smiling! I hope you will take the time to watch. Now if I could only add the fragrance of the flowers!



Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email

Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered


Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow on Bloglovin


1 comment:

  1. The moths are wonderful. I've seen them a couple of times in a previous yard at my Climbing Jasmine. The video is delightful, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie