Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

27 June, 2013

Easy No-Bake Strawberry Tunnel Cake


I have a super-easy dessert for you to try…just in time for the 4th of July! It’s my No-Bake Strawberry Tunnel Cake! If you know me, you know that I don’t do anything unless it’s easy! And…this is a recipe I have been using for almost 40 years so you know I love it! You don’t even have to be able to cook!

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Strawberry Tunnel Cake It’s kind of like an all-in-one strawberry shortcake…an angel food cake filled with a tunnel of strawberry goodness and topped with whipped cream! Yum! My family loves it!

IngredientsYou can pick up all of the ingredients at the grocery store and have it ready to serve in a jiffy, too…it’s that easy! Here’s what you need:
  • A pre-made angel food cake (Mine came from the bakery at Publix.)
  • A container of whipped topping
  • A one pound bag of frozen whole strawberries (You can substitute fresh if you like but I feel that the frozen berries help the Jello to congeal.)
  • A small (3 oz) box of strawberry Jello
  • Some fresh strawberries and blueberries to decorate the cake
You can even make a light version of the cake by using sugar-free cake (also available at Publix), sugar-free Jello and sugar or fat-free whipped topping!

Instructions And here’s what you do:
  1. Using a serrated knife, cut the top one inch off of the cake and set it aside.
  2. Cut around the cake along the inside and outside edge, being careful not to cut all the way through to the bottom and leaving about an inch on each side. Then cut the inside portion into small sections and pull them out of the cake, leaving an additional inch all along the bottom and creating a trench. Set the cake pieces aside to be used later.
  3. Heat one cup of water in the microwave and add the package of Jello, stirring it until it dissolves. Add it to the cake pieces. Cut the frozen strawberries into slices and add them to the cake mixture. Stir until the cake has absorbed the liquid.
  4. Add the cake piece/strawberry mixture to the cake, filling in the trench and smoothing it as you go to allow as much as possible to fit. I use almost all of it.
  5. Put the top back on and ice the cake with whipped topping. As you can tell from the ingredients, it must be kept in the fridge.

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Strawberry Tunnel Cake Finally, decorate the top of the cake with fresh strawberries and blueberries. And there you have it!

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Strawberry Tunnel Cake Then, just slice and serve! The strawberry-filled tunnel makes such a pretty statement, don’t you think? And the whole process takes me no more than 30 minutes and I didn’t even have to cook! Love it!

Miss Kitty loves strawberries And speaking of love…Miss Kitty loves the smell of strawberries and makes a total fool of herself when I bring them home from the store! However, you have to promise not to tell her that I showed you these embarrassing photos! Uhhmm...fortunately, there are no photos of me and my reaction to the cake!


Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed having a little peek at my strawberry tunnel cake! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party , Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday  , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , Cedar Hill Ranch for The Scoop on Tuesdays , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures, The Everyday Home for Home{work} Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays , No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays , Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits on Thursdays , My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday , French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , Common Ground for Be Inspired on Fridays , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday , Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special, The DIY Showoff for the Fun in the Sun party
See you next time! À la prochaine!
Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email

Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered


Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow on Bloglovin

37 comments:

  1. The cake looks delicious! As we are headed for 120 degrees this week, it's the best kind of baking! Love the photos of Miss Kitty. Our Kwitty Kwat loved mint and was a fool for Andes chocolate mint wrappers. She would rub her head all over them, I am assuming to take the scent with her wherever she went. Too much fun to watch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like something my MIL would love, and we are trying to think of things to feed her right now. Thank you for this, Debbie.

    Love you bunches...

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks amazing, Debbie! I'm pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy, Debbie, and I think I am going to try it this next week for a BBQ.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious.

    My Grandmother used to do something like this with raspberries and raspberry jello.

    Yum.

    Oh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yummy! This looks so delicious. I used to do something similar with chocolate filling in the trench. I think I'm making this! '-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE!!!! We're going to be in Paris for the 4th, but I'm still going to find a reason to make this. Oh, and fat free cake and fat free whipped cream? Tsk, tsk. What would the French say?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hardly stand how good this looks. So good that I am making a list and totally want to make it this weekend! It looks easy, fresh and beautiful!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy!! We make this cake with fresh strawberries....for our Canada Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks good and Miss Kitty is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This cake is going at the top of my summer recipe list. It looks delish! Your cat is just hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My kitty girls do the same things with fresh strawberries, they nudge the container off of the cabinet and want to roll in them. I kinda feel the same way about that cake. I might make a fool of myself with it! Looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this looks so good! How perfect for the 4th of July, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing the hysterical photos of Miss Kitty and the yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooooo I love this because of the cheats. AND it's angel food cake!!! Thanks so much for posting this tutorial!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh- I am soooo going to copy this recipe and claim it as my own! lol Does the jello have to set up a bit before you spoon it in? And that cat is hysterical. Makes me miss my Misty! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it, Diana! No...just spoon the mixture on in. It will set up rather loosely from the frozen strawberries. Hope you enjoy it! Hugs..Debbie

      Delete
  17. WOW, this looks so YUMMY! I've pinned it, can't wait to give this a try! Love your kitty!!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Debbie, Long time no talk! I love this recipe and I think I will make it for a couple of get togethers I'm invited to! I will definitely try to visit more often. Have a great summer and be sure to tell the staff I said hello!

    xoxo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are making me so hungry for your strawberry cake. I haven't thought of that recipe in years. Yours is so pretty with the strawberries and blueberries on top. I got such a giggle seeing Miss Kitty acting so silly. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like easy too, Debbie. This is easy and looks delish! I think I will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I see the words no-bake, strawberries and cake and I'm hooked! Scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This cake looks so good! My family loves strawberries and I am going to surprise them with this at our next get together!!

    hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your cake looks so yummy, and I love easy! I'm right there with Miss Kitty- the smell of strawberries is heavenly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love this cake! Saw your post this morning, and made it for dinner. Really good. Thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. First of all I had no idea Publix had sugar free cakes. Thanks so much for the info. This cake looks so delish. Who knew?

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  26. This would have to be delicious.

    Charlotte Moore

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yum! Thank you for joining Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  28. This sounds delicious. I'm wondering if you used the juice from the frozen berries? If you did, then I wonder if using fresh ones would make the mixture too dry???
    I love your kitty pics. She reminds me so much of my beloved Spunky.

    ReplyDelete
  29. So glad you like the recipe! I used to use the juice in the recipe when I could find strawberries in the boxes. Lately, all I can find is the frozen whole berries in the bag. I use them and it works out just fine.
    Hope that helps! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I got fresh strawberries at the berry farm yesterday and I'm making your cake today for our Fourth of July gathering. Can't wait! Thank you for sharing the recipe and blessings to you, Patti

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for such a speedy reply. We fixed the cake this morning. It was a huge success at our family gathering. Everyone loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. That is the perfect summer dessert! And, you don't have to heat your kitchen up to make it! LOVE IT! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks delicious! I've pinned to my Stars and Stripes Pinterest board. I love quick and easy desserts!
    I'm visiting from The Scoop Link Party today.
    ~ Megin of VMG206

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love strawberries and this looks both beautiful and delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG, the cake looks amazing and I know that it is so yummy. I am going to make that for Memorial Day. Thanks so much for the recipe.

    Have a wonderful week,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  36. We are always having impromptu cocktails and food in the street in our neighborhood, now I know what to bring this weekend when another invite breaks out! Sharing with my friends. Yum, thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie