I am so excited today because it’s time for one of my favorites…our monthly No-Sew Showcase! And this month it’s going to be even more fun because two very creative bloggers have joined our bunch…Christy at Our Southern Home and Jennifer at Town and Country Living! For our May showcase, I decided to go patriotic since it's only two short weeks until Memorial Day and then summer, along with the 4th of July, will be here before you know it!
I was inspired by Pottery Barn’s Stripe Long Flag…such a festive way to add red, white and blue to your holiday! Theirs is $40 but I knew I could do better…in fact, I knew I could recreate my version for FREE! Woo hoo! You can’t beat that!
You may remember the Pottery Barn inspired stars and stripes burlap pillow that I made last year for the 4th of July. I have enjoyed it so much and will take it out for Memorial Day and leave it out all summer! Well…it just so happens that I have more of the same fabric in my stash…all that I need to make the banner! One difference…obviously, mine will have stars and stripes, but I like that better anyway! However, you could use any fabric that you like.
Here’s what you will need:
- A 10 inch x 22 inch piece of fabric (the stars, in my case)
- A 20 inch x 22 inch piece of fabric (the stripes, in my case)
- Fusible hem tape
- Dowel or rod to hang the banner
And here’s what you will do:
- Cut the fabric to the indicated size. As stated, you could use any fabric that you like if you prefer not to have the patriotic theme.
- Press the fabric under 1/2 inch on three sides of both pieces, leaving one of the 22 inch sides as is. Miter the corners so as to have minimal fabric.
- Measure a length of hem tape and place it inside of each of the three folds. Following the directions on the package, press the tape in place. NOTE: I found that the tape held best if allowed to cool afterwards.
- Place the 22 inch hemmed side of the top piece (stars) on top of the 22 inch unhemmed side of the bottom piece (stripes), insert a piece of hem tape in between and press into place.
Finally, press the remaining unhemmed 22 inch side at the top of the banner to allow a 1 1/2 inch fold. Place hem tape along the bottom 1/2 inch and press into place. Leave a 1 inch opening to allow for a dowel or rod to hang it.
And here it is! I am going to hang it on my front door for Memorial Day weekend…and Flag Day…and the 4th of July! It’s the perfect combination of patriotic and rustic…and I didn’t have to sew a stitch!
And as all of those holidays roll around, I’ll also be making my No-Bake Strawberry Tunnel Cake. I have to admit that I like no-bake just as much as I like no-sew! And…you don’t have to heat up your oven to make it! :-)
Baby Kitty says we are not quite ready to let the cat out of the bag just yet, but we have a big surprise coming Memorial Day weekend that will give you a chance to win something that we love, so stay tuned!
And now...please be sure to visit these talented bloggers to check out what they are sharing this month!
Remember to pin it!
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party , Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for the Show and Share Party , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Inspire Me Monday, Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , Common Ground for Share Your Style on Thursdays , French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday, Tatertots & Jello for the Link Party Palooza on Fridays
See you next time! À la prochaine!
Also find me at…