Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

09 June, 2013

Summery Burlap and Canvas Sailboat Pillow

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Burlap and Canvas Sailboat PillowIt’s finally feeling very summery in my little corner of the world, so I decided to create a summery pillow! And what says summer more than sailboats…although I have only been on one once…and a fabric combination of canvas and burlap!

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Frenchy Beach Pillow You may remember my summer pillow from last year…my Pottery Barn inspired frenchy beach pillow starring this fabulous painting by Édouard Manet…Sur la plage de Boulogne…that I turned into a post card! You can find all the details, including the free graphic, by clicking here.

Sailboat Stamp Mirror Image
This year’s summer pillow features a wonderful seascape turned postage stamp from the USPS American Treasures series. Love the shades of blue! I have already reversed the image for you to use as an iron-on transfer. I simply printed it on transfer paper (I use Avery brand for light fabrics), trimmed it a little and applied it to a slightly larger piece of white canvas following the directions on the package. Next, I stitched it to a square of burlap cut one inch bigger than my pillow form.

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Envelope Closure Tutorial Finally I finished it off using an envelope-style closure for the back…also of burlap. I use this style of closure for all of my pillows since it allows me to remove and store the covers and reuse the forms. You will find a tutorial here. I might also mention that I have found Goodwill to be a great source for inexpensive down inserts…usually under $3.00.

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Burlap and Canvas Sailboat Pillow And here is the result…my summery sailboat pillow! It looks right at home on my patio…a sign that summer is here at last! And since I already had everything that I needed in my stash, it was free! Gotta love that!

Chipmunk Surprises Our co-host Baby Kitty has also found another sign of summer. The chipmunk who lives under my bird feeder is busy gathering seeds and burying them for later…resulting in a lot of strange little surprises sprouting in my yard! Time to dig up his little stash!
How about you? Are you starting to see some signs that summer is finally here?

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed having a little peek at my summery sailboat pillow! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party , Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday , Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , Cedar Hill Ranch for The Scoop on Tuesdays , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures, The Everyday Home for Home{work} Wednesday  , Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , DIY by Design for Swing into Spring , The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays , No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays , Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits on Thursdays , My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday , French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , Common Ground for Be Inspired on Fridays , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday , Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special, The DIY Showoff for the Fun in the Sun party
See you next time! À la prochaine!
Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email

Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered


Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow on Bloglovin

21 comments:

  1. Love the pillow -- such a great idea using the postage stamp print! Too cute about the chipmunk -- yesterday and today were the first days around here that really felt "summery".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pillows are just perfect Debbie! Really love the postage stamp/boat one! Signs of summer keep popping up here too BUT it's been raining on and off for the last two weeks. Sigh! Great for the plants but not so much for me.

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, our weather is fickle here, summery then cool and back again. I love your pillows and wish I hadsewing abilty:) XO, Pinky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your summer pillow idea! I am excited about having a new sofa when I move and being able to change out pillows! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your summer pillow! So coastal and relaxing, I would love for you to share your project at the Pretty Things party (live now) have a wonderful day Debbie!

    xo, Tanya
    http://twelveoeight.blogspot.com/2013/06/pretty-things-link-party-24-and-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie,
    Adorable Summer pillow!
    Love, LOVE, L O V E last years Frenchy burlap pillow!!!
    Baby Kitty looking quite attentive to the Summer out~of~doors!
    Window washing and above 90 degree temps. Summer has made its way to the Prairie!
    Have a marvelous week ahead!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both pillows are so fun and summery. I love the way you made the images into postcards and postage stamps. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sailboat pillow is so charming - I love it! Great idea to turn the image into a postage stamp :-) Sharing your fun project on FB :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pillow is adorable! Makes me think about so many photographs that I could make into pillow.
    Thanks, Patty

    ReplyDelete
  10. THank you, thank you a zillion times for the sailboat transfer. You are so generous to share that with us. Can hardly wait to get new ink cartridges (pc shows enuf ink but won't print, grrr.)
    I love this pillow, I take it your machine will sew burlap? Wish mine did, it just jams and behaves badly so guess I'll have to use iron on tape to keep it together. Love this pillow and any others you ever do, they are all so incredible
    When I see a post from you can hardly wait to see what it's going to be. You inspire me every post. Sorry for repeating myself, get excited to do great projects I get from your blog. Happy days
    It's hot, low to high 90's, here and very windy almost every blasted day, (about 18 miles west of Grand Junction, CO close to UT border). Gets my laundry dry quick but that's about all the good it is, have to fight to get it on line then really fight again to get it off if wind doesn't carry it away, sheesh. Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a great idea! i love the first pillow, i have a small print of this.
    found you on savvy southern style.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. You come up with the best ideas for pillow designs. Your latest batch is perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You always make the most gorgeous pillows I have ever seen! Beautiful! I have a new weekly link party which is live now and I would love if you stop by and link up this wonderful post! Hope to see you there! http://mariaelenasdecor.blogspot.com/ Hugs, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is so pretty. You make the most gorgeous pillows.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love both pillows! And Hopper is my favorite painter!

    Maya @ Completely Coastal

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea!!! Thank you for sharing and the tutorials as well! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  17. Perfect summer pillows Deb! I am in love with the one with the sailboat. I would love that as a piece of art for my family room! Perfect colors of blues!!
    Great job as always, it looks like we are both in a sailboat kind of mood this year!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbie, All of your pillows are wonderful and I especially love the sailboat one. My husband loves sailing and this would be perfect for his office. Thanks for linking to the Open House party.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so talented!! Thank you for sharing all your wonderful projects with strangers. I end up using at least one of your ideas every season!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here I am few years later printing out transfers from graphics you have so generously provided. Thank you so much for sharing the graphics. I like to print out couple copies of graphics, never know what I might want to do. I love every one of your projects. Might not make them right away but keep them for when in mood or want new pillow covers. I run out of room for storing them all but can't part with any. I keep transfers in plastic covers in notebooks. Buy plastic notebooks at $tree.
    Today was in low 80's with nice breeze so have doors and windows open. When it gets really hot have cooler going with house closed up. Not my favorite as hate having house all closed up, dark inside.
    Hope all is well with you,happy summer

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie