Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

20 September, 2012

Halloween Fun...Jack-o-Lantern Pillow with Interchangeable Faces

Jack-O-Lantern Pillow with Interchangeable Faces
I am so excited about Halloween this year since my little grandsons will be old enough to appreciate what is going on! Sooo…with them I mind, I created a Jack-o-lantern pillow with faces that they can change! I gave it a very simple and uncluttered look…just a pumpkin with lots of interchangeable parts.

 Just look at all the different faces we can create! Won’t this be fun?

Ozzie
Even our seldom photographed CEO Ozzie wanted to try it out! She likes to make a few appearances this time of year since her beautiful fur coat just lends itself to the season!
pumpkins
1. It’s really easy!  I started with a simple pumpkin template printed at 8 x 10 size.
2. Next, I applied Heat n Bond to an 8 x 10 square of orange burlap, following the directions on the package. Then I pinned  the pumpkin pattern to the square and cut it out…leaving out the stem. Next, I repeated the process on a little piece of  green felt to create the stem.
3. Finally, I applied the two to the front of my pillow pieces, once again following the directions on the package. 
4. Now you are ready to create the face parts! I found a downloadable pattern here, but there are oodles of patterns available for free on the Internet. I cut them out of black felt and added the loop (softer) part of the Velcro tabs to the backs.

Jack-O-Lantern Pillow 3
The pillow is a simple one made of drop cloth with an envelope style closure…tutorial here. I added the little stick-on Velcro tabs in the places that I wanted to put the face parts…making sure to put the hook part of the tabs on the pumpkin face. I’ll explain why in a moment. You will need to give them a few stitches by hand to be sure they stay in place since they don’t seem to stick to burlap very well. However, they adhere very firmly to the felt face parts.

Jack-O-Lantern Pillow Back
Here’s a view of the back of the pillow with the envelope-style closure. I also added a little pocket to hold the parts that are not in use. Using the softer loop side of the tabs on the face parts allows you to handle and store them without having them stick together.

Jack-O-Lantern Pillow with Interchangeable Faces
And here it it is! It was practically free...just one square of black felt and a package of Velcro tabs since I had everything else on hand! I think we are going to have fun with this pillow for many years to come!

  
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my project! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party
Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday

Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday

The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Cedar Hill Ranch for Cowgirl Up! on Tuesdays

My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
DIY by Design for Fall into Fall

Thrifty Decor Chick for the Easy Fall Decor Party The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays

Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits on Thursdays
My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday 

2805 for Potpourri Friday  
At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Craftberry Bush for Happy Hour on Saturdays
Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
Debbiedoo's Power of Pinterest Party on Saturdays
See you next time! A la prochaine!

32 comments:

  1. That is too cute. Love the interchangeable faces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I want to try to make one like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very cute...my grandkids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another cute idea! I'm sharing this one with my sister. She has little grands that would think this was fun......Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a fun idea! kinda like a mr. potato head but in pillow form, love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea! You could come up with all kinds of different themes for this kind of pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun idea! I bet your Grands will really enjoy this pillow!
    hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so neat! What a great idea and to think of adding a pocket to the back of the pillow to keep all the pieces of face in. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gotta love that face! Beautiful inspiration! Thank you fro sharing your project at Potpourri Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great and fun idea! Even love the little storage pocket on the back! This is really neat Debbie:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a sweet idea, the kiddies would love this...thank you so much for sharing...xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debby, You are too smart! Love your pillow. Vikki in VA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie, this is such a great idea! The grands will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable!! I cannot wait to pin this!
    New Follower over from DDD linky party!
    Hugs, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie,
    What a fun pillow to have around. Stop by today and see who got featured at my blog...yes...it's YOU:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your pillows are so halloween style!I Love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You come up with the best ideas, Debbie. I love this pumpkin pillow. Great for kids to play with each day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Debbie,
    This is just adorable!!! Think your CEO Ozzie might be excitied about all the marketing possibilities! Child care and Grandparents would be great customers!!!What a fun and education pillow!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is just the cutest idea Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Debbie, is that not the cutest pillow??!! You always. One up with such fun, creative ideas. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a clever pillow idea, Debbie, and so neat that it can be changed out. Loved seeing Ozzie--what a lovely kitty--highly photogenic! It was so nice to hear from you over at my blog today--glad you liked the pear beignets!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a cool idea! I love the different facial expressions on each pumpkin pillow! And your cat is gorgeous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are sooo Clever, I love this! Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is so much fun! Perfect for little ones. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You win! Best Halloween project ever, so glad you linked to Cowgirl up this week. I am sharing your project on my facebook page.
    :) Samantha @ Crafty Texas Girls
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crafty-Texas-Girls/140299076008437?ref=hl

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is so cute -- looks like it'd even be fun for grownups to play with!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks fun now that I have a grandson. I'd love it if he'd get to visit!! Such a fun easy idea.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie