Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

25 June, 2011

Tutorial: Ruffled Faux Grain Sack Table Runner

runner I’m interrupting my Paris in Seven Days series to show you a little project I have been working on. It’s my new table runner…made from toweling that does a good job of imitating vintage grain sacks! It seems that while I was in France, the fabric caught on in blogland and has been popping up everywhere. I had an email from my friend Linda at Nina’s Nest telling me all about it upon my return!

IMG_3891 I was really excited to find out that you can order toweling since my beloved ruffled burlap table runner (tutorial here) was looking a little heavy for the summer months. We can thank Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the inspiration. After a little searching I found a source!

006 The color I chose…no surprise here…was blue and natural. All you have to do is look around on my blog to see that I love that color combination! And, since it comes 16 inches wide with the sides already hemmed, it just naturally lends itself to being made into a table runner. And at only $7.98 a yard, you can have a nice custom runner for around $28 plus shipping.

029 The first step, of course, is to measure your table. Here, Baby Kitty demonstrates an alternate method for measuring. It appears that mine is about four cats long...or 68 inches, for those of you without cats. Once you have measured your table top, add 14 inches to allow for a 6 inch drop on each end plus a seam allowance. Then add an additional 32 inches to allow for the ruffle. My measurements were 68 inches + 14 inches + 32 inches for 114 inches or a little over 3 yards. I ordered 3 1/2 yards at $7.98 per yard, since it may only be ordered in 1/2 yard increments.

page 1. First, cut the fabric into two pieces…one piece measuring the length of your tabletop plus the additional 14 inches and a second piece which is 32 inches long. (You may have a little bit left over.) The 32 inch piece will be your ruffles. 2. Cut the 32 inch piece in half lengthwise. 3. Hem the short ends of the 32 inch pieces by folding under twice and top-stitching. 4. Run a long stitch through the long side with the raw edges and gather. 5. Adjust the gathers to the short end of your runner, right sides together and sew. I finished the seam with a zig-zag stitch, since the fabric tends to ravel. 6. (Not pictured) Press the seam toward the runner and top stitch from the right side. 

runner And…voilĂ ! It was really easy and quick. Now I have a nice summery table runner to go with all of my blue and white!

035 Here, I set the table with my vintage Quimper ware and some mismatched vintage silverplate…love it! I have a feeling you will be seeing more of this one!
Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my project!  Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday
Rhoda at Southern Hospitality for Today's Thrifty Treasures on Mondays
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday (first Monday of the month)
Marty at A Stroll Thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design for Sizzle into Summer
Kara at Elements Interiors for Whassup Wednesday
Gina at The Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Leigh at Tales from Bloggeritaville for Thrifty Thursday
Jill at French Cupboard for VoilĂ ! French Inspiration on Thursdays
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays
Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday
Diann at The Thrifty Groove for Thrifty Things Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Fridays
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday
Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
See you next time! A la prochaine!

65 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic, I love the deep ruffle and of course the blue! I'm working on a drop cloth tablecloth right now but I think your runner is next in line at my house. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just darling!!! You always inspire me!!!

    Blessings,
    Haven

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love the way it looks with your Quimper dishes Deb!! So fresh and Frenchy. xo Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty and so european style. I am going to check it out and order some.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your runner is beautiful Debbie! I'm lovin' the great stripes and your ruffle is fab:@)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, you are always so clever! I love the look of this with the Quimper. Do you take orders? LOL
    Thanks for sharing the details. Have a great weekend. ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie, that is gorgeous. Love that fabric. You could make those and sell them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Debbie, it looks fantastic. I love the ruffle that you did to it. How cute is that and it so looks like you. Thanks for the tutorial. Thanks also in advance for linking to TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I love that. And with those dishes...ooo..la..la

    We've had beautiful weather up until yesterday and now it rains and pours. I've been organizing my office today and realizing that it is this kind of weather that makes me do what needs to be done. Have a wonderful week, Deb. Hugs, Deb=^..^=x4

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, Your toweling runner is beautiful. While the burlap was nice, I REALLY like this one. And I'll bet it's washable, too.
    That Baby Kitty is such a character, showing how to "measure" for the runner. :)
    Great tutorial, too.
    Hugs and have a great Sunday,
    Babs

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deb this is just lovely! I love the blue and natural color also. I am still loving my burlap table runner I won in your giveaway! However it's waiting for cooler weather also. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can hardly wait for my order to come. This looks fab girl.... love your little helper. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant! Many thanks for this idea. My order is on it's way.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks so beautiful and I love the ruffled touch! This toweling fabric is popping up everywhere in blogland...I love the colors! Thanks for sharing the tutorial. Visiting from Masterpiece Monday. Have a nice weekend!~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the quimper dishes Deb and your runner is beautiful...thanks for the tutorial, I really would like to give it a try at one! Dropping by from Masterpiece Monday. Lots of hugs, FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know what's next don't you Debbie? Your own little Etsy shop!

    I am enjoying your travelogue of France!

    xoxo, Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful! I love the color, fabric, and the ruffle. Your Quimper coordinates with it beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the blue and white runner...!! And baby kitty looks adorable..!!

    Have a great weekend !!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Our dining table is so small that a table runner would almost cover the whole width. Certainly not leave enough space for plates as well. BUT I do love them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, Debbie, love the runner with the ruffle! I'll bet the company will be out of the toweling by tonight! Love it with the Quimper - exptra cute! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love it! and the style suits my country house just fine! Might just make me one too! thanks Deb!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Although, it is difficult to find here, in Cuenca, things for decorating the 4th., there are lots of Americans living here, Ecuador and this city is the number 1 place in the world for retired Americans! All the country has beautiful haciendas, turned into Inns, which cater for the 4th., food and BBQs and many, many restaurats through out Ecuador...I have many friends for ever, married to Ecuadorians, like me, and many that live here as couples, etc...I have fun and we so enjoy the 4th. of July BBQ's! Love, Fabby

    ReplyDelete
  23. It does look great with your Quimper, and I do agree that it is more summery.
    I have been surprised this year at how everything is turning Frenchy. I see it everywhere, from Eiffel Towers to French handwriting to linens. What a timely trip you had!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love it and it's perfect with your quimperware.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Debbie I love the runner! I need to see about ordering some of the fabric.

    Thanks so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, now I do truly love this! I'm a little tired of the burlap craze, as I can't be near it without sneezing. But THIS is gorgeous!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  27. That is so pretty! I just found out about this fabric from Marty at A Stroll thru Life. Hope to order some after I move.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a beautiful table runner. Very French-y! It's perfect!

    Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a fabulous runner you created! I've made runners before with burlap & ruffled cotton, but I love the towelling fabric you've used. May have to try that with a project - thanks for sharing!
    - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  30. It looks really cute with the long ruffle finishing it off - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Debbie, your runner turned out so well! Love the easy way you created the gathers. Do you have any problems with the thread breaking doing it that way? I think that's the way they taught us in Home Ec so many years ago, but it has been so long, lol...not sure I remember now. Isn't it funny how things do go in spurts. I am seeing grain sack posts everywhere right now. You can never go wrong with French style anything, can you? :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. VERY cute! I am in need of a new runner for my breakfast room. Thanks for the idea!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  33. hi Debbie, Your new runner is perfect for summer, and it looks fabulous with your QUIMPER. A perfect combination. Thanks for the great info here and your tutorial makes this project look easy. Ask Baby Kitty if he or she would take an order for me. Ummm, I need about four kitty lengths. You know I love the Quimper.....

    ~Emily
    The French Hutch

    ReplyDelete
  34. Love it Debbie! And I love how you says it's 4 cats long...lol. You made me spit up my diet pepsi!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Debbie I love it! It looks beautiful with that place setting. Martina

    ReplyDelete
  36. Looks great, Debbie! You should open an Etsy store! ;o) Happy July 4th (almost!).

    ReplyDelete
  37. I just have to say you are always five steps ahead of me, noooo fair!! I am just now getting into burlap and attempting to sew some burlap curtains in a couple of weeks. This table runner looks so nice and summery! Gorgeous with your blues also, I want your talent, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Now I know why I am sewing challenged--I don't have a Baby Kitty to help me! I do like the cooler, softer look of your new runner for the summer months! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my gosh, I just LOVE this, you're really inspiring me to make one!! and of course I DO have cat helpers so it will be much easier than I had imagined! You crack me up!!!
    xoxo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh Debbie, you talented person you!
    That turned out wonderfully and I am so very impressed!
    Thanks for the tutorial too, I am looking forward to more of your Paris pics too!
    Hugs friend,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  41. What a beautiful runner.I also have a burlap runner on my table.I've been wondering what to do for a "lighter" look for summer.This is perfect. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hi Debbie, Your runner turned out wonderful and I love the ruffles! Isn't this toweling fabulous? Thanks for the mention and for joining my Open House party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hello Debbie...
    What a beautiful and unique runner it is... I am going to make one like this ... thanks for sharing such a nice idea...
    Visit me whenever you can
    http://craftaworld.blogspot.com/
    Love
    Farah

    ReplyDelete
  44. Well, I followed the link over here and, being the sucker that I am, I signed up to follow your beautiful blog! Every post I looked at is just gorgeous..so now you will have to put up with all my sassy mouthed comments! (It's nice sass though)..Hugs- Diana

    ReplyDelete
  45. Very cool! Thanks for the detailed directions.
    Like Char, I'm about to start on a dropcloth tablecloth for that dang weird sized table in my sunroom ...60x60. They just don't make tablecloths to fit it, so I'm going my own.

    Kudos to you for being featured on No Minimalist! I'm going over right now to check it out.

    Happy 4th!
    fondly,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ohhhohoho! That runner is a callin' my name! I'm SO LoViN' it!! What a SWEET idea!

    ReplyDelete
  47. I just got the last piece..big enough w/o a ruffle ( I'm not much of a ruffle girl) :)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  48. Debbie,
    That is a wonderful table runner you made! I love that toweling. It looks great! Much easier to work with than burlap. Thanks for linking it up at Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  49. Wow, that is beautiful. I love the blue, especially for summer!! I am not a sewer but will be following to see what other beauty you create!! I hope you check my submission from Common Ground #6.

    ReplyDelete
  50. Great tutorial. I think I made my burlap one after you showed yours, so now I'll HAVE t o make one of these. I could use a little lighter look for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  51. I love this runner. Thanks you so much for posting the instructions.
    Happy 4th of July!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  52. LOVE. THIS. SO. MUCH.
    I can't sew but surely I can sew a straight line..not sure how to do a ruffle but I'll learn.

    ReplyDelete
  53. That is beyond fabulous! Thanks for sharing! I don't have a kitty to measure by but I assume it wouldn't be that many doggy lengths if I use my Lab, Maggie. lol

    Back Porch Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  54. This runner is so cute! I would love to have one for my dining room!!! I am so glad I found your blog. I am visiting from Feathered Nest Friday, and I am your newest folower.

    ReplyDelete
  55. I love it!!! going to check out that source right now!

    ReplyDelete
  56. It's fabulous ~ I love it! Have a happy 4th!!

    Hugs,
    Susan and Bentley

    ReplyDelete
  57. It's charming! Thanks for providing the fabric source.

    ReplyDelete
  58. I've already checked out the fabric source! I recently saw pre-hemmed linen at Ikea and was debating on getting that, I think I like this better.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Your table runner is lovely. Thank you so much for including the source in your post. I have spent the last 4 hours attempting to find this type of table runner for sale or the fabric to make one myself with no luck; until I found your post. My order is in and I can finally goto bed at 1:50am lol! I was on a mission!

    ReplyDelete
  60. Hi Debbie-
    I finally finished my runner, thank you so much for sending me to the store to purchase the material
    Funny story, I measured the table and forgot to add for the ruffle - had to order 1 extra yard - so 2 weeks later I finished
    Go to my blog - I mentioned your blog name if anyone wants to make it - http://muchloveroseblog.tumblr.com
    Thanks again
    Happy holidays.
    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  61. Hi Debbie,

    This is such a great idea, thank you for sharing! I'm looking to incorporate these table runners for my French country-themed wedding! Is this the exact fabric that you used in your tutorial?
    http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=3837727923313837&Store_id=587&page_id=23&Item_ID=4748

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That's it! I love the idea of a French Country wedding! Best wishes! Hugs...Debbie

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie