Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

31 December, 2010

Happy New Year 2011...A Tablescape and A Tradition

Happy New Year, everyone! Are you ready for the celebration? Once again our charming webmaster Miss Kitty has agreed to be the hostess!

The table is set...just a variation of our Christmas table. Can you spot the changes?  The plates are my bargain Goodwill Wedgwood Queensware sitting atop silver chargers. My great go-to Irish crystal goblets and my mom's Towle Silver Flutes flatware are back. The napkins have been exchanged for white damask.

Of course, the burlap table runner is still there, as well as the drop cloth tablecloth! I have enjoyed them so much! A few changes have been made in the centerpiece. A candle in the center has replaced the Red Cliff ironstone soup tureen...

...which has moved to the buffet. I love seeing its reflection in the silver tray! There are just some simple changes in the tablescape since the Christmas decorations are still up at my house. They will come down after New Years.

However, the menu is another story! We have the traditional Southern New Years meal for luck and prosperity...collard greens (click here for my recipe),  black-eyed peas and ham...with some rice, stewed tomatoes, mac and cheese ( Patti LaBelle’s recipe)  and cornbread on the side! Yum yum!  A previous dinner is pictured...but the menu never varies. I am really not superstitious, but let's just say that the one year I didn't have my collards was not a good one!

Sooo...I make sure that everyone in my family has at least a bite of them! My wonderful son-in-law, who doesn't like them at all, takes one for the family each year and has one black-eyed pea and one tiny shred of collards! Now that's a great son-in-law!
I hope your celebration is fabulous no matter what your traditions and wish you and your family a New Year filled with peace, prosperity, love and much happiness!

23 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    Miss Kitty and my Maurice could be twins! How cute she looks in her jeweled tiara!
    Traditons are wonderful. . .my mother was of Southern influence and we always had the black~eyed peas for New Year's Day. About the time my husband retired from the U.S. Army however; we began a new tradition. . . Lasagne for New Year's Day!
    Every year it's the same menu: lasagne, green salad, garlic bread and New York Style Cheesecake!
    Black~eyed peas OR lasagne. . .Miss Kitty OR Maurice. . . Happy New Year, dear friend! Looking forward to blogging with you in 2011!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tablescape is so beautiful! My son doesn't like blackeyed peas either. Unlike your son-in-law, he won't even eat one! LOL

    Happy New Year!
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't do greens, cole slaw instead, cabbage family counts doesn't it?

    Love your table and the plate looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever tried Texas Caviar for the black eyed peas? It makes a yummy dip with corn chips. Google recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your tablescape. I'm ready to put my burlap runner back on the table! I think I need a dropcloth table cloth myself! Did you wash it a lot first?? Love the photo of Miss Kitty! I don't eat black eyed peas and didn't grow up with that tradition. I usually serve a bean soup and cornbread. Happy New Year! hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tablescape. I grew up always eating that same meal (I live in GA). Haven't done it in a while- could that explain my current situation? Maybe I need to go eat at my parents this New Years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie, your table is so pretty and I love your beautiful china, crystal and silver. Your linens are wonderful. I so hope you have the most Blessed year ever in the coming New Year. Love ya! Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love Miss Kitty's New Year's hat! She looks like the most gracious hostess (& a good kitten, too!)!!
    Happy New year to all of yours...we don't do the Southern New Year's Day dinner. I'm from Iowa, my hubs is a Georgia boy but he understands I can't cook that green stuff!!!!!!
    ♥'s
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table looks beautiful! I hope you enjoy your New Years meal with your family. I hadn't planned on cooking an official meal to celebrate, but after looking at your plate from another year, I just might!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Miss Kitty looks fab! Happy New Year Debbie, wishing you and the staff a wonderful 2011:@)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for welcoming me back sweet Debbie! You are such and angel!!! I am so looking forward to catching up with you in 2011...can't wait!

    Happy New Year!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Debbie,
    I just love Miss Kitty. She does a wonderful job. And, of course we know that your baby and my Gizzy could be twins.

    Your table setting looks wonderful.
    I am really hungry for cornbread and mac and cheese. I just said to my husband that I would love to make it tomorrow for dinner with some ham and cabbage.

    Happy New Year.

    hugs
    Sissie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Miss Kitty is so adorable. Your food looks fabulous as well as your beautiful table. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bonjour Debbie!
    Just discoverd your lovely blog. I think your pictures are some of the best I've seen on the web. I recently loss my camera - and I was wondering if you mind sharing with me what camera you use. I tried to find a way to email you this message but could not find a link on your blog. I'm sure it's there somewhere. Please email your answer to me at gowinali@gmail.com
    Thank you for your help and I wish you the best year ever!

    Thank you, Ali

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm learning about black eyed peas for New Year's! Laurie at Bargain Hunting and Pat at Back Door Musings all have black eyed peas. A southern tradition which sounds like a lot of fun. Your table looks simply elegant. Happy New Year! ~Delores

    ReplyDelete
  16. Debbie, I love your table and your menu!

    Wishing you and yours a very Happy New Year. You are such a blessing to so many of us, and I hope that is returned to you in abundance.

    Love you...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi sweet lady! You have again shown us another beautiful tablescape. Later today we are having a slow-cooked beef brisket along with that comfort food favorite-mac & chesse, cornbread and of course, black-eyed peas! Never miss a New Year's Day without the black-eyed peas. Have a wonderful 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Such a beautiful table Debbie!
    I love the first pic! You have the best kitties around!
    Happy New Year too!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  19. great tablescape...I like blackeyed peas...my family likes purple hull peas better...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Miss Kitty is such a party animal!!! Haha
    Baby Lily was not amused at my attempt to put a tiara on her. She felt a crown was more appropriate. LOL Queen Lily!

    Love you, my friend. I am soooo excited for the coming year. Its gonna be a grand one, I feel it in my heart. I also hope its the year we Puttzers can all get together as one big neighborhood.

    Happy New year. Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy 2011 to Debbie and everyone else! I am thrilled I discovered this blog in late 2009 (just after X-mas. It really brightened my 2010. I am sure it will be great during 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year, Debbie! I have never had a collard or black eyed pea in my life, please don't make me! :)
    But I'll take extra on the ham, cornbread and mac and cheese!
    We always had Fresh Ham on New Year's.
    Here's to 2011!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie