Click to Visit These Popular Posts

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT DIY Spring Tulip WreathCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Pottery Barn Inspired Nest Place Card HoldersCONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Farmhouse Spring Porch 6CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Easy Flower Pot Wreath

19 May, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday...or...A Visit to the Balck Walnut Bed and Breakfast

It's time for another tour of beautiful gardens and outdoor rooms from our hostess Susan at A Southern Daydreamer! Be sure to visit her wonderful blog to see her gorgeous home and gardens and find a list of this week's participants! I am afraid that a lengthy drought and late frost have kept me from posting any pictures of my own yard. But...


... last week I went to Asheville, NC, to meet fellow bloggers Barb at Grits and Glamour and Kathysue at Rate My Space and was thrilled to find myself on the grounds of a gloriously beautiful old home surrounded by fabulous gardens....the Black Walnut Bed and Breakfast Inn! Let me take you for a little tour!


Driving up the driveway and through the portico, you are greeted by the first of two ponds complete with waterfalls! This one was a double pond and was filled with huge koi and wonderful waterlilies! A net had been added to keep the herons from making a tasty and expensive meal of the koi!


A second smaller pond was tucked away in a secluded part of the yard. It was surrounded by native plants.


Bursts of colorful flowers dotted the yard, such as this wonderful blue lace cap hydrangea! I think this was my favorite!


We were fortunate enough to be there when the rhododendron were in bloom! Isn't that a wonderful shade of lavender? In front of the bird bath were several groupings of columbine...a flower that I have not seen very often.


Here is a close-up of one of the varieties. I love the contrast of the dark purple with the cream!



And here is her paler sister...a lighter purple with white! I am now on a mission to find out if I can grow these in our heat!


We were not the only ones enjoying the gardens! There was a nice variety of birds...cardinals, blue jays and woodpeckers in particular...taking advantage of the feeder, as well as this very agile squirrel! It was a very relaxing sight to watch the creatures and their antics from the window seat in the large window of the dining room! Ahhhhhh!!!


Alas, it ended too soon! I hated to leave my dear blogger friends and this wonderful place! That's us...l to r...Barb, moi and Kathysue! I am ready for another trip to this beautiful inn and its surrounding gardens! Let's go back soon!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed our little tour! Please head on over to Susan's to be inspired by wonderful gardens and beautiful blossoms! See you next time! A bientôt!

30 comments:

  1. That lace cap hydrangea is my favorite, Debbie! It is GORGEOUS! This was a great holiday! I've enjoyed all of your pictures SO much. Thank you for sharing...

    XO,

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my what a gorgeous B&B Debbie the hydrangeas are such a beautiful colour and Columbine are one of my favourites, how lovely to meet fellow bloggers and have such a fun time, Happy outdoor Wednesday, Kathy.

    ps, your header photo is just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Outdoor Wednesday Debbie! What beautiful gardens! and it looked like a wonderful day... good to see smiling blogger faces! Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what a wonderful place to rendezvous!! I love it. Great shots of the grounds. Happy O.W. to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful heads up...since our first stay at a B&B years ago we have never stayed at another hotel. We tried to amble our way to Ashville years ago and got stopped by so many waterfalls we never made it. I must put this on our list. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am completely enchanted. I have several friends who have studied in and around Ashville and a few who have mad it home and I've yet to get there. How delightful to have this littel peek.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely spot in which to meet and enjoy the company of friends. Your pictures are beautiful. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We wont have hydrangea for about 5 weeks. I have one bush that is lace cap and mophead in one bush..
    What a lovely place..
    Thanks for the tour..You do get around Miss Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like y'all had a wonderful time in a wonderful place. Thanks for letting us see a bit of it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Debbie, I'm never going to tire of seeing these pictures. This is just the most beautiful inn! The grounds are gorgeous, I love the koi pond. And I've never seen a columbine flower before, they are beautiful! Thanks so much for sharing these, and I hope you have lots more! Hugs, Kat

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers are so lovely! I love the old house! I watch the squirrels everyday! So peaceful to watch! I know you had fun with the blogging ladies! I love Asheville! My favorite store is there! lol I went to a neighborhood garage sale this past Sat. with Hubby! We had a blast! I came home with a truck packed to the top of the cab! I having fun with all my wonderful things! Miss visiting you! I going to check out what post I have missed.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like quite a fun trip and some beautiful photos too!

    ~Really Rainey~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful grounds for such beautiful bloggers. Awesome flowers and that columbine is so gorgeous in cream and purple!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Debbie! What a beautiful place with flowers to match! You gals look adorable and I'm a little bit jealous - you get to meet everybody! I'm really not, but do wish I could meet some bloggy friends!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The flowers are all gorgeous and you 3 ladies are all gorgeous too, Debbie! Must have been so much fun walking the grounds while giggling and chatting and just admiring the gardens...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just beautiful pics Debbie!

    Those hydrangea and rhododendra are fabulous! I loved seeing these pics and I do plan on being in Asheville this summer! My blog roll/dashboard is not updating but I do have an OW post. hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. We had a blogger meet at Longwood Gardens this past weekend. It is my O/W post. Funny, I loved the Columbine too.

    Glad your meet was fun.

    Happy Wednesday.
    Becky K.
    www.hospitalitylane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous Outdoor Wednesday post, Debbie!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like a wonderful spot to visit with friends. My son and his wife got married at a B&B in Cherokee -- not too far from Ashville - some of this reminds me of the beautiful setting of their wedding in the garden almost 7 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've stayed at many a hotel but never a B&B. I seriously need to do that! What a gorgeous setting.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Debbie...What a lovely location for a girls-getaway! I'll bet y'all talked & laughed till you were hoarse...LOL ;-) Bo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Debbie... your photos are beautiful! I LOVE that Hydrangea! I've never see that species... just fantastic!

    have a happy Wednesday...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Debbie, I love the pictures....so glad you all had a great time.

    Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOWee, how fun!!!! CHEERS! Michele

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a beautiful place! It sure makes me wish I had a green thumb so I could have a garden half as lovely as this. :::big wistful sigh:::

    ReplyDelete
  26. Debbie, You have me wanting to take another trip to Ashville. It is so pretty there. Next time I go I am checking in at this B&B.
    Hugs, Terrie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like fun. I love how you bloggers get together, and even better that you share. The Bed and Breakfast looked darling. Fun Times, Happy OD Wednesday.
    Maryrose

    ReplyDelete
  28. The photos are beautiful Debbie. Love the hydrangea & koi pond! ♥ Diane

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful photos!!! I am so envious that you got to meet your blogging buddies. There are several I'd love to lunch with. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I appreciate my wonderful readers!... Debbie